Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jflash07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Georgia
I just purchased the LG 27UD88-W monitor. It has USB-C technology. I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) that has two Thunderbolt 2 ports. Is there a way to take advantage of the USB-C features using my current MacBook Pro? Meaning, is there a way to run a signal from my MacBook Pro thunderbolt port to the USB-C port on the new monitor? I couldn't find an adapter, but perhaps I'm searching incorrectly. I want to take advantage of the USB ports built in to the monitor, and I know you can use it as a docking station essentially if you run a USB-C cord from the newer MacBooks, not sure if this is possible from MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

Thanks for any help!

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
TL;DR: No.

In the instance of your Mac (I have the same Mac, with a dGPU), do not think of those ports as TB2 relative to a display - they're MiniDisplay ports. That LG display does not use TB3, of which USB-C SS is a subset, so the only data conveyed from your Mac to the LG display will be up-to-and-including DP 1.2.

No adapters exist yet that "convert" or "adapt" (there's no correct descriptive word here) USB-C in the form that your Mac generates and your display uses/accepts/converts over a USB-C cable - DP 1.2, USB-C SS, power over USB, HDMI 2.0. I'd be all over buying an adapter, if it existed and is made by a reputable manufacturer...

I'm looking at this type of scenario myself as I need new hardware, and that's why I've held off on hardware purchases so far. We have a few newer USB-C displays that also have HDMI 2.0 connected to 2013 rMBPs, but the only adapter purchase is Accell Cable's Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter - so we can see the 10-bit color that shows up via HDMI 2.0 but not over Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort 1.2 connections.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I saw that 9to5mac.com review when it was posted and noted the limitations right away - a bit bummed even though I'm not interested in the 12" Retina MacBook. I cruise the Accell, Kanex, and DisplayPort.org product updates as they seem to be really moving forward with USB-C/TB3 product updates for the new port configuration. I'm in the market for some new hardware for my small company and myself, but I'm holding off until a few more options - read: New Macs! - show up... I'll get in line right behind you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.