Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
This is mainly because of the addition of dedicated graphics, but also with the improved displays, faster processors, faster RAM, and Fusion drive standard on the higher end model.

Before I saw it as not comparable to the 27" but now it seems impressive and a true competitor against the 27" for many people. What do you think?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I agree, Apple's refresh to the 21.5" 4K iMac was exactly what most people were hoping for spec-wise (other than the fact you still can't easily upgrade the RAM).

Wait a second, on the higher model only? C'mon Apple, you've got to be kidding me. Not a single Mac should be sold new with only a 5400 RPM drive at this point, not a single one.
Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.22.24 PM.png
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNDY2LL/A&step=config#

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I agree, Apple's refresh to the 21.5" 4K iMac was exactly what most people were hoping for spec-wise (other than the fact you still can't easily upgrade the RAM).

Wait a second, on the higher model only? C'mon Apple, you've got to be kidding me. Not a single Mac should be sold new with only a 5400 RPM drive at this point, not a single one.
View attachment 702261
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac?product=MNDY2LL/A&step=config#
Yeah especially with their move to have 24GB Flash only with the 1TB Fusion Drive. You would think that would allow them to apply it to all models. Also, I was hoping for a 2TB Fusion option for the 4K, as flash has gone to 1TB maximum. Other than that, it seems like an appealing option.

007 Junior

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
The Netherlands
Yeah especially with their move to have 24GB Flash only with the 1TB Fusion Drive. You would think that would allow them to apply it to all models. Also, I was hoping for a 2TB Fusion option for the 4K, as flash has gone to 1TB maximum. Other than that, it seems like an appealing option.

They've increased the SSD storage with Fusion Drives. Quoting from the Apple website: "The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 32GB of fast SSD."

Reactions: Appleaker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.