Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OvertonGraphics

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
London
Hi I'm looking to buy a 4K monitor to plug my MacBook Pro retina in to.

However, I also need it to work, just in their native resolutions, not 4K for example, with my partners MacBook Air and her cheap work windows laptop (will find its specs on Monday)

So my question is, can I use non 4K laptops with a 4K monitor?

I know they won't be in 4K, I just want them to work on it in whatever resolution they can so I can use my Mack book pro retina in 4K without having to buy two diff monitors.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I use Dell P2715Q and BenQ BL2711U displays with up-to-4k (UHD) resolutions on my late-2013 rMBP at my two locations and have a 2012 Mini Server at each location attached to one of those two displays via either HDMI or mDP>DP with 1440p resolution. I just use the OSD to switch inputs for the Mac I want to use and I'm good to go. I've got a few workstations that use a PC/Mini Server configuration in the same manner.

My only suggestion is to use DP-compliant cables so there aren't any EDID issues if you're switching mDP/DP cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.