Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesignBloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi all, first post here, so a big hello and happy, healthy, 2021.

I need a monitor to work with my 16" MB pro working freelance with creative cloud apps.

I have narrowed my choice down to BenQ pd2720u or viewsonic vp2785-4k.

I'd like as much colour accuracy as possible and my budget is around £800 but other than the 2 models above, am I missing anything? Is the colour difference between these and lesser 4k models that much that I will notice day to day design for digital and print?

The benq seems hard to get hold off but is my current #1 choice.

My last 10 years have been working on 27" imacs.

Thanks for any help.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Well i’m not a stickler for true color accuracy like you are so i can’t really speak to that aspect. From what i’ve read the color accuracy is very good in the dell. I have a 3 year old 24” Dell monitor that has been a great monitor but i want something bigger. I like the aesthetics of the dell the best personally too but if color accuracy was my first priority obviously my research would be different.

DesignBloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thank you Guma! I've just pushed the button and gone ahead with the Benq pd2720u. Once it arrives along with my MB pro, I'll share thoughts and review. Many thanks for that link ?

Reactions: yurc

mlourenco9

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Hi,
I have a 16” MBP and I bought a BenQ PD2720U 4 months ago.
I’m absolutely satisfied with it. Not only a top end monitor for my work but also a massive hub. I have a Caldigit connected to it and, with just a thunderbolt 3 cable I connect almost anything to my MBP.
Excelent choice.

Reactions: DesignBloke

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Im looking at the dell u2720q

I have two of these and love them. They are excellent displays. They're not bad choices at all for content creation. For that matter, the less expensive QHD U2520D is also great. However, for those looking for absolute best possible color accuracy they can get, they may need calibration out of the box.

So, that said, the BenQ is probably a more color accurate display and one with better initial calibration. (Its Adobe RGB coverage will probably be superior and DCI P3 similar-to-inferior). EIZO is arguably a benchmark though, and a used ColorEdge might be worth exploring...they do seem to have incredible longevity.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I have two of these and love them. They are excellent displays. They're not bad choices at all for content creation. For that matter, the less expensive QHD U2520D is also great. However, for those looking for absolute best possible color accuracy they can get, they may need calibration out of the box.

So, that said, the BenQ is probably a more color accurate display and one with better initial calibration. (Its Adobe RGB coverage will probably be superior and DCI P3 similar-to-inferior). EIZO is arguably a benchmark though, and a used ColorEdge might be worth exploring...they do seem to have incredible longevity.
Can you tell me if the monitors run in YPbPr colour scheme in the OSD menu? Thanks !

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Im looking at the dell u2720q

Have this one too, I am also vote for economical reason. Was mainly for my Mac Pro, but occasionally I plugged my 2018 MBP when parked in studio with single type-c connection.

OP choice for Benq pd2720 isn't bad too, it has TB3 and color management puckey, which is great for color consistency.

DesignBloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Edinburgh, Scotland
So, it turns out the supply of pd2720 is non existent and the supplier i purchased from don't actually have any in stock... back to the drawing board i think. I'm gutted as I need to get working on that screen!

Just wondering if I go ahead and get another monitor, or get an older monitor that doesn't have USB type C and get a hub instead.

I really had been through so much research and blew my budget by £50 to order the pd2720, so i'm very disappointed to learn of stock issues after making payment!

DesignBloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Edinburgh, Scotland
Have this one too, I am also vote for economical reason. Was mainly for my Mac Pro, but occasionally I plugged my 2018 MBP when parked in studio with single type-c connection.

OP choice for Benq pd2720 isn't bad too, it has TB3 and color management puckey, which is great for color consistency.
How do you find the accuracy on the dell u2720q? I design 50/50 for print/digital, so need to know that my pantones are spot on (pardon the pun).

I know there is a difference between the u2720q (in my budget) and the up2720q (outwith my budget).

DesignBloke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2021
Edinburgh, Scotland

Eizo is out of budget.

I'm after 4k, USB type C, 100% Adobe RGB, 100%sRGB, 27".

Anything i've missed. I know there's the viewsonic, but i read some reviews that put me off.

86Dylan86

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Eizo is out of budget.

I'm after 4k, USB type C, 100% Adobe RGB, 100%sRGB, 27".

Anything i've missed. I know there's the viewsonic, but i read some reviews that put me off.
The viewsonics are decent monitors, especially that one you mentioned. I have heard from other video editors that for the price they are underestimated. I was suggested this and purchased the vp2468a despite the issue with M1 Macs being stuck in YPbPr on most external monitors it works well for a lower end monitor in their colorpro line I'm quite impressed.

Reactions: DesignBloke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.