Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2011
London
I watch a a lot of YouTube videos that are downscaled to 1080p from 4K. I'm aware there's an incompatibility issues between ATV and YouTube's 4K format.

Will this be resolved soon or is it a white elephant that both Google and Apple are ignoring? I would rather not have to buy a ChromeCast Ultra just for 4K YouTube.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I watch a a lot of YouTube videos that are downscaled to 1080p from 4K. I'm aware there's an incompatibility issues between ATV and YouTube's 4K format.

Will this be resolved soon or is it a white elephant that both Google and Apple are ignoring? I would rather not have to buy a ChromeCast Ultra just for 4K YouTube.

Issue is that Youtube 4K videos are (mostly) encoded in VP9.

The A10 SoC (and A9) lack hardware decoding of VP9. Maybe it can be done in software, but don't count on the Youtube app. Apple also tries to ignore VP9.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It's an example of the unfortunate lack of cooperation if not downright antagonism between Apple and Google. It's the same with Amazon. These giants just seem to hate each other, and we users pay the price.

Just look at the quality of the YouTube app on the Apple TV. It's an ATV 2 relic. It's hideous and bare bones and I don't expect Google will ever rewrite it to bring it up to the standard of YouTube on other big screen devices.

Reactions: tonyr6

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's an example of the unfortunate lack of cooperation if not downright antagonism between Apple and Google. It's the same with Amazon. These giants just seem to hate each other, and we users pay the price.

Just look at the quality of the YouTube app on the Apple TV. It's an ATV 2 relic. It's hideous and bare bones and I don't expect Google will ever rewrite it to bring it up to the standard of YouTube on other big screen devices.

Google's loss, in my opinion. I like to watch certain ski movies, often they are uploaded to both Vimeo and YouTube. Every time I use the Vimeo app, YouTube loses ad revenue.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Will this be resolved soon or is it a white elephant that both Google and Apple are ignoring?

Apple favors H.265 HEVC, but with Safari as one of the few platforms that does not support VP9, I expect they will eventually be forced to capitulate and adopt it. Either that or they wait until the Alliance for Open Media comes out with their successor codec that replaces both H.265 and VP9.

DaTechie

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
California

And suddenly they slapped us with a major update. The pressure is adding up I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.