Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I spent a few spare hours gathering data on iOS wishlists and analyzing it in Tableau. Thought some of you might appreciate playing around with the result.

I focused on iOS wishlists rather than macOS or hardware, but some others snuck in anyway. I took data mostly from google searches, the sources are all listed. I do not claim any scientific accuracy here in the data gathering or its categorization, so there may be some bias and there will probably be things others will disagree with. Each of the original authors are credited and the original description are readable if you mouseover on the timeline chart.

Anyway, it's an interactive dashboard (anything you click will filter the other charts), feel free to play around with it a bit, and let me know what you think :)

https://public.tableau.com/profile/markvdw#!/vizhome/wishlists/Dashboard

Some observations of my own:
  • Federico Viticci of MacStories is the absolute king in terms of both wordcount and number of features
  • March appears to be the slowest month for feature wishlist discussions
  • Feature requests seem to have a half-time of around 4 years, i.e. 50% of the features that people are requesting are released within 4 years
  • The top-10 of most requested features are a Customizable Control Center, the ability to Change Default Apps, Dark Mode, Multiple users, Lock Screen Widgets, a File Manager, Better Do Not Disturb, Better Siri, a more Flexible Home Screen, and Group Facetime.
  • In spite of iOS's maturity, the majority of often-requested features have to do with OS-level features rather than app-level features. Changes to the overall System, the User Interface, Control Center, Notification Center, Settings, the Home Screen, the Lock Screen, Siri, and the Keyboard together cover more than 80% of the overall requests.
  • Within the stock apps, the most requested changes are to Music, Messages, Safari, Photos, Health, Mail, and Facetime.
  • Perhaps unexpectedly, the category where Apple has been most forthcoming in releasing the requested features is in giving developers access to previously locked API's. Complete redesigns have been the least granted.
  • Features requested in Articles have a significantly higher release rate (31%) compared to features requested in Forum Posts (18%). People in Forum Posts tend to be a bit more outlandish compared to the Article authors.

Attachments

• ios_wishlists.png
    ios_wishlists.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.