Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
which one would produce a better image quality?
…*what kit lens are you talking about? Nikon has quite a few? The 18-55 mm, the 16-85 mm, the 18-70 mm, the 18-105 mm or the 18-135 mm?
On the other hand, the 15-85 mm is not cheap, the MSRP is $800! So you should really compare lenses that are similar, in this case Nikon's 16-85 mm.

In any case, better glass is more important than the body in terms of image quality, but even more importantly is that the body feels good in your hands. Just stop worrying about IQ, try both cameras and purchase the camera your gut tells you to. You can always put a better lens on it later.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I could be wrong but I think he means the 18 105 VR, at least mine came with that, box and everything. Or the 18 55 VR, perhaps?
There are a few sites that compare different lenses, not that hard to find.
As far as the cameras go, the Nikon is a bit more advanced so if the photos aren't really better it will help you more easily achieve the results needed. It is up to you of course. Either one is perfectly fine, do not underestimate trying them both in your hand, try understanding the functions and button layout.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml
http://www.1001noisycameras.com/200...s-nikon-d90-vs-canon-t1i-vs-olympus-e620.html
http://www.photographybay.com/2009/05/11/nikon-d5000-vs-canon-rebel-t1i-iso-comparison/
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5000/noise_vs_D90.shtml

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Honestly, considering the state of modern DSLRs and the specific equipment you have listed, the only real determinant of image quality in this case is going to be the operator, not the equipment. In other words, neither will really produce "better image quality" than the other, if you shoot both equally well they will produce equally compelling images.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
which one would produce a better image quality?

They're pretty comparable looking at the MTFs, though because they're zooms it's really not easy to compare since they're completely different focal lengths at each end of the chart- they may each be "better" at different focal lengths, depending on what criteria you use for "better" (sharpness, contrast, distortion, color rendition, bokeh, aberrations.) 3mm on the wide end is a fair bit of difference, 20mm on the long end is as well- especially on a crop-factor body.

The bodies also have different base ISOs for the sensor, so a lot depends on what you like to shoot, and under what conditions. The Nikon's ISO 200 base will give it about a stop's advantage when shooting at 200 and up, but a stop's disadvantage at 100. That extra stop means an extra shutter speed- which may make a difference with fast-moving targets, but will make no difference at all off a tripod or with static subjects at 1/focal-length. The Canon has slightly better resolution, so at base ISO it should perform slightly better- though you'll likely not really see the difference in most images, and you'll lose that difference as you move off of the base sensor ISO.

Even more importantly, you're really choosing between to *systems* and looking at the specs of the current camera bodies is less useful than it appears, as it's likely to be a 2-3 year choice that won't have as much impact as the next body's features and IQ- and since those aren't out yet, it's difficult to say which manufacturer will deliver what IQ.

In summary, the differences are small and highly dependent on what you're shooting, under what conditions you're shooting under with what settings you're using. If you took 20 different prints shot under different conditions with each combination you'd probably not be able to categorize them by camera/lens.

Paul

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Do your friends lean Nikon or Canon? If so, do they have any lenses you're jonesin' to borrow? I'm not sure why people don't think about that.

You're not going to see any appreciable difference between the two kits you mention - especially shooting hand-held, even with VR/IS. At this point in time, the technology is almost never the limiting factor - technique is (as others have already said in different ways).

superatombomb

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
hmmm, interesting info

its just that a lot of people told me that the D90 is much better, however i prefer the lightness if the 500D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.