Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I have been having trouble the last few times I have used my Canon 50D.

1. Several times I have gone to take a picture, you would here the click the lens taking the picture but it would never unclick. like it started to take the picture and then it never finished.

2. When the shutter is released the camera is making a very strange sound it is hard to describe but it isn't the normal operating sound. When the release happens there is a high pitched noise that goes off. like i said it is hard to describe but it almost sounds like a turkey call.

any ideas on what could be wrong? The camera hasn't been dropped. The body caps and lens caps are always on when the camera isn't being used. The camera is less than a year old.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I don't exactly know what's going on with your number 2, but did you, perchance, have mirror lock-up on with number 1?

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
never had it before. how does that occur and how do you prevent/fix it?

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Mirror lock-up is a feature that I use quite often, and you turn it on in custom functions if I recall correctly. It flips the mirror before you take the shot to lessen the chance of mirror slap affecting the image.

If you're not in timer mode, it takes two presses to take the picture (one press flips the mirror, the next takes the picture).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have been having trouble the last few times I have used my Canon 50D.

1. Several times I have gone to take a picture, you would here the click the lens taking the picture but it would never unclick. like it started to take the picture and then it never finished.

2. When the shutter is released the camera is making a very strange sound it is hard to describe but it isn't the normal operating sound. When the release happens there is a high pitched noise that goes off. like i said it is hard to describe but it almost sounds like a turkey call.

any ideas on what could be wrong? The camera hasn't been dropped. The body caps and lens caps are always on when the camera isn't being used. The camera is less than a year old.
Maybe you have changed to settings to lock-up the mirror? Check the settings. Sometimes something is different with the camera, and we worry quite a lot before we realize it's something simple.

I would recommend that you buy a guide for it, hopefully one written by David D. Bush. I have one for my 40D, and it has gotten me out of trouble several times.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
first, reset your camera. if it doesn't happen anymore, read the manual. otherwise, exchange it or send it to Canon, and then read the manual.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i reset the camera. checked all the settings and read the manual. nothing helped. time for canon to take a look.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
i reset the camera. checked all the settings and read the manual. nothing helped. time for canon to take a look.

Resetting the camera doesn't change all the settings to default. Before sending it to Canon, go through the steps with a Canon technician on the telephone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.