Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Going to have use USB transfers direct from camera on my 50D until I get a firewire 800 CF card reader or an ExpressCard 34 reader. When I plug in my 50D via USB cable to my MB Pro, it doesn't appear on the desktop. What's the deal?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Going to have use USB transfers direct from camera on my 50D until I get a firewire 800 CF card reader or an ExpressCard 34 reader. When I plug in my 50D via USB cable to my MB Pro, it doesn't appear on the desktop. What's the deal?
I use one of these: SanDisk Firewire 800 CF Reader. Much faster than the camera->USB solution. Highly recommended. B&H or Adorama will overnight one to you fairly reasonably. :)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Unlike Canon P&S and Nikons (which at the very least allow you to choose), Canon dslrs never appear on the desktop. You need to use Image Capture, Aperture, iPhoto or some other software to transfer your pictures. There is no need to install a driver, though.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Canon dSLR cameras do not support the USB Mass Storage Device standard. That's why they don't show up on the desktop when connected. If data were to be written from the computer back to the camera, it can seriously damage the camera (there's not much chance of this happening without doing some hacking, but it's worth mentioning). Try to use a card reader when you can, it's faster than straight off the camera.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks guys.

No, I don't have any Canon software installed as I prefer CS4 and Lightroom 2. I do have the EOS Utility program installed however.

Importing photos from Lightroom 2/Bridge CS4 works as normal from the camera.

I guess I was just expecting to see the DSLR show up on my desktop when I plugged in the USB so I can just transfer the photos from there. I was just used to putting my SD Card in my ExpressCard 34 slot on my MB Pro and having that card show up on my desktop.

No biggie.

I assume Canon still ship cameras with a CD of drivers and applications. Do people ignore that?

I do. In fact, I don't ever think I've installed drivers from a CD ever. Nor for printers, cameras, video cards. I usually forgo all manufactures software as Adobe does a much better job with a much better UI.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
If data were to be written from the computer back to the camera, it can seriously damage the camera (there's not much chance of this happening without doing some hacking, but it's worth mentioning).
No.
The camera's firmware has nothing to do with what files are present on the memory card. Hacking the firmware,

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
No.
The camera's firmware has nothing to do with what files are present on the memory card. Hacking the firmware,

Sorry, hacking was the wrong word to use. I wasn't implying altering the firmware. I meant using software on the computer side to force transfers from the computer back to the camera even though the camera doesn't support that function.

Long story short, Canon cameras support the PTP (picture transfer protocol). It is designed to be one way only. There is no driver that is sanctioned by Canon that will make the 40D/50D show up on your desktop.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I meant to write choose, hehe.
LOL! Well that makes more sense! :)

And you're right, it wouldn't kill Canon to at least let you copy off files that way. Read-only at least (I always reformat the card in the camera so I don't need to be able to delete).

At the end of the day, I just use my SanDisk FireWire CF card reader but that's one more thing I have to bring with me if I'm going to shoot more than my two 16GB UDMA cards will hold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.