Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Styxie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Holland
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, what happens when I put a 50mm EF lens on my 450D? Will I get the same focal length as my EF-S 18-55 set to 30mm? There's this thing with crop factor (1.6), and I don't quite get it.
My dad has a 35mm camera. If he uses his 50mm lens, and I use the EF (not EF-S) 50mm lens, will I see the same thing as my dad does?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No it's a 50mm lens so it's the same as the EF-S lens set to 50mm. Canon do no correct for the crop factor on EF-S lenses (as in absolute terms the crop factor is just that:a crop not an alteration of focal length).

So no: you will not see the same on a crop body as on a 35mm (full frame) body using a 50mm lens or any Canon zoom set to 50mm.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
A EF 50mm will give you a 80mm FoV on a cropped sensor. FoV stands for Field of View, its not exactly extending the "zoom" of your lens but rather just the field of view, even I got confused until someone explained to me :D

So conclusion, no. You will not see the same thing as your dad film camera.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
As others have said, EF and EF-S lenses of the same focal length will produce the same image crop/field of view.

It's a bit confusing, I know, since EF-S lenses are "made for 1.6x crop sensors", making you think that they have somehow corrected for the crop. They haven't. EF-S lenses just project a smaller image onto the sensor than an EF lens, but the field of view is the same at the same focal length.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.