Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

my_chemical_mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
I've got a 16" 2019 MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5300M GPU. I've got it connected to the Samsung Neo G9 (5120 x 1440 resolution, 240 Hz) via a USB-C to HDMI cable (this one), but I am limited to 3840 x 1080 resolution. How can I achieve the full 5120 x 1440 resolution here? I don't care if I don't get the full 240 Hz refresh rate, but at least 60 would be nice. It seems like this should be possible. Am I using an insufficient cable? Do I need an external GPU or something else?

From the MacBook's Technical Specifications:
  • Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Additional Notes:
  • The computer is also connected to a 4k 60 Hz monitor via this cable, and that is working properly.
  • The 1 DisplayPort input on the Neo G9 is already occupied by a gaming PC, so I would like to use HDMI here if possible.
  • Operating in clamshell mode (internal display not in use)

Last edited:

omnimax

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Don't think you can achieve 5k/60 over HDMI (at least I couldn't and others as well from what I've read on forums) on my non-Neo G9. That MBP model doesn't have HDMI2.0 native support so I think you need an active HDMI2.0 converter (similar to what apple sells) because native output won't be HDMI2.0 compatible so you're probably only getting DP alt mode which I think tops out at v1.2 (IIRC).

The 6k comment refers to using TBT3 so the only way to do full capability out of the G9 is with DP1.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.