Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Hello everyone! Can someone pls help me? I used to have the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB and it says on that phone that I have only used 51GB out of 256. Now, Little bit more information about that device: besides having that phone storage I also have 200gb iCloud storage but it got full so some of my files and photos weren’t uploaded in iCloud anymore so when I backed up the 11Pro max for my iPhone 12 pro max I did it through my computer instead because again, I have no enough iCloud storage so I knew for sure not everything will be uploaded in my new phone if I don’t do it through my computer. Now that I am using the 12 pro max, I am so surprised as to what just happened. It now says I have used 101 out of 256gb! Can someone pls explain to me what happened? I am now worried that 256 might end up not being enough for a year or so but I hope I’m wrong and I hope I am also making sense!

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I saw the same thing on my wife’s 12 pro right after the initial setup. It went back to the same amount used after a few days...maybe optimizing iCloud photos?

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
After transferring over everything from my previous iPhone, my 12 Pro Max was sitting at 130GB used on launch day, and now is at 78GB used. I haven’t really deleted anything in between, maybe some behind-the-scenes optimizations.

genomez

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Mine did the same thing. When I first transferred over to the new phone it showed over 120GB and a few days later it’s now at 59GB.

Ezra923

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Yea for some reason iMessage is taking up 200gbs on my iCloud, which is fine, but then its taking up 23gb on my iphone storage

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I saw the same thing on my wife’s 12 pro right after the initial setup. It went back to the same amount used after a few days...maybe optimizing iCloud photos?
I’m not sure how to do that? Is it the one in the settings if I go to iCloud and then click photos and then it says optimize iPhone storage? If so, mine has that checked! Pls correct me if I’m wrong!

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
After transferring over everything from my previous iPhone, my 12 Pro Max was sitting at 130GB used on launch day, and now is at 78GB used. I haven’t really deleted anything in between, maybe some behind-the-scenes optimizations.
What did you use to transfer from your previous phone? I have gotten mine on launch day also, but still no changes! :(

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Mine did the same thing. When I first transferred over to the new phone it showed over 120GB and a few days later it’s now at 59GB.
May I ask also what did you use to transfer from your previous phone? Through iCloud back up, directly from phone or iTunes? Did you ever have to restart your device or perhaps turned it off?

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Yea for some reason iMessage is taking up 200gbs on my iCloud, which is fine, but then its taking up 23gb on my iphone storage
It is so weird now how whenever I go to my iPhone storage detail break down it is not even showing how much messages is taking up the phone storage!

genomez

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
May I ask also what did you use to transfer from your previous phone? Through iCloud back up, directly from phone or iTunes? Did you ever have to restart your device or perhaps turned it off?
I did the direct iPhone to iPhone transfer for the first time. I have to say it was very easy and I'll use it moving forward.

terps2005

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I’m not sure how to do that? Is it the one in the settings if I go to iCloud and then click photos and then it says optimize iPhone storage? If so, mine has that checked! Pls correct me if I’m wrong!
It's nothing I did and I'm not sure that;s exactly what was happening but it worked itself out eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.