Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
hey photographers,

I'm looking to get a large display to hook my MBP up to. My main requirement is for it to be good working with digital photographs. I've always neglected the ACD's as too expensive, but now that I'm shopping seriously, am starting to consider them used.

There's a local guy that has two of them, and the lowest he'll go is $550. I haven't seen many of them advertised around here (DC), so it's hard to say how much they should go for. Does this seem pretty fair, or are there other IPS monitors I should be looking into these days?

thanks for any advice!

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
You can get a brand new dell 24-inch screen for less than $420.

Apple doesn't make their own LCD panels; they outsource it to one of a few suppliers like everyone else does. So saying that Apple's panels somehow provide superior color to other panels isn't necessarily true just because Apple's panels cost twice as much

If the aluminium bezel is worth the extra dough, go for it

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can get a brand new dell 24-inch screen for less than $420.

Apple doesn't make their own LCD panels; they outsource it to one of a few suppliers like everyone else does. So saying that Apple's panels somehow provide superior color to other panels isn't necessarily true just because Apple's panels cost twice as much

If the aluminium bezel is worth the extra dough, go for it

Is that Dell an S-IPS panel or a TN one? The only 24" I can find on their site is a TN, which is vastly inferior to S-IPS (particularly for photographers) if you're not playing games on it (TN has a faster refresh rate).

Apple may not make their own panles, but they do use high quality ones, which you need to bear in mind when doing comparisons.

pna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Is that Dell an S-IPS panel or a TN one? The only 24" I can find on their site is a TN, which is vastly inferior to S-IPS (particularly for photographers) if you're not playing games on it (TN has a faster refresh rate).

Apple may not make their own panles, but they do use high quality ones, which you need to bear in mind when doing comparisons.

Exactly, I don't care if it's apple or not, I just want it to be S-IPS, and those seem to be ever-increasingly rare. I'd be happy with just about any S-IPS substitute for cheaper.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Exactly, I don't care if it's apple or not, I just want it to be S-IPS,

Go to this web site. Look up the panel used in the ACD then do a search for others that same the same panel.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Yes you are right good LCD panals are rare now. Even Apple is now puttig crap in their pro-level notebooks. How long until all the ACDs are glossy TN panels?

Edit: I just did the above for you.....

Apple M9178 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
BenQ FP231W (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
HP L2335 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
LG L2300B (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
LG L2300C (widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
Philips 230W5BS (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
Sony SDM-P234 (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
Sony SDM-P234B (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
ViewSonic VP231wb (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.
X3D Technologies 3D AD (Widescreen) has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.