Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coreysandler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
San Diego, California
I don't think Aperture was coded with 20+ MP RAW images in mind... my top of the line Macbook Pro is craaaawling... the ball spins for a good 5 seconds on every image... I'm sure this is a software issue because the same files in Photoshop scream on this computer...Apple...if you are listening, pleeeeease announce something on Aperture 3 soon... I don't think I can handle switching to the awful UI of Lightroom, I have tried...

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
no problems here with Aperture and files from my ex-5d mark 2.

It takes time in the beginning to render the previews but then its smooth as butter..

Specs: 13.3 Macbook pro, 2.53ghz, snow leopard, 4GB ram, 64GB SSD with 1TB external USB drive

... When Aperture came out we already had 16MP raw files so I dont think its that much of a problem... dunno though

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I don't think Aperture was coded with 20+ MP RAW images in mind... my top of the line Macbook Pro is craaaawling... the ball spins for a good 5 seconds on every image... I'm sure this is a software issue because the same files in Photoshop scream on this computer...Apple...if you are listening, pleeeeease announce something on Aperture 3 soon... I don't think I can handle switching to the awful UI of Lightroom, I have tried...

But the 1dsmk3 is fine right? Or any digital medium format camera?

Midwest

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
Wait a minute

You will read others like me who just installed Aperture 3. I have installed on my iMac with 4 GB of RAM--running on 10.6.2 and at 64 bit enabled. Watching Activity Monitor it will sucked down ALL of the RAM in about 1.5 minutes not even doing anything freezing up my machine. I disable the face function too. I had to force quit each time I opened it. Aperture 3 is useless to me and many, many others if you read other forums. There is something innately flawed in Aperture 3. It was release obviously too soon. I will have to dump it, and re-install my Aperture 2 disk. The question is now can I take it back to the Apple Store I bought it from and get my $100 back. IT IS A DOG!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You will read others like me who just installed Aperture 3. I have installed on my iMac with 4 GB of RAM--running on 10.6.2 and at 64 bit enabled. Watching Activity Monitor it will sucked down ALL of the RAM in about 1.5 minutes not even doing anything freezing up my machine. I disable the face function too. I had to force quit each time I opened it. Aperture 3 is useless to me and many, many others if you read other forums. There is something innately flawed in Aperture 3. It was release obviously too soon. I will have to dump it, and re-install my Aperture 2 disk. The question is now can I take it back to the Apple Store I bought it from and get my $100 back. IT IS A DOG!
Yeah, except you obviously never let it finish it's upgrade processing.

Just open Aperture, check the activity window and don't do anything until it's done processing what it wants to process.

Midwest

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
I did. I waited about 10 minutes to re-index my Aperture library. That was completed.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
Aperture doesn't run perfectly on my 3.06ghz MBP17, processing 18MP RAW files from a 7D. LR runs better, but not perfectly either.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England

That is of course if you can get it to upgrade your Aperture 2 library in the first place.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Somethings not right. Either the program needs to finish its process as others have stated or its something else. Maybe repair your permissions or something.

I use LR personally and it struggles with full size 5D2 files on a 17" 2.6 Unibody....but not that bad....

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Maybe not a totally fair comparison but my 15MP raw files from a 50D run totally smooth in Aperture 3. My machine is an imac 3.06GHz C2D with 4GB RAM.

The initial conversion of my library, which isn't huge (approx 35GB) took about 20-30 mins, so give it some time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.