Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Ever since I updated with the IOS 11's I cant get sound using an Aux chord. I would like to blame the phone but my standard Apple ear buds work just fine. I have tried two different aux chords.

Anyone experiencing this as well?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Maybe there is lint or dust in the port and the aux cord has trouble plugging in. If you have a case, try again without the case. What happens when you reboot?

You can reset settings: Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7234451
This worked on iOS 9 aux issues.

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Maybe there is lint or dust in the port and the aux cord has trouble plugging in. If you have a case, try again without the case. What happens when you reboot?

You can reset settings: Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7234451
This worked on iOS 9 aux issues.

Thanks. I thought of the lint but confused why my headphones work.

Pushing off the restore for now.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Could be that the cords’ plugs just aren't fitting into the jack properly. I’ve seen this issue with 1/8” jacks and plugs for many years…before even iPods were out. Using a blade to trim away a bit of the plastic at the base of the plug worked in some cases.

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
IOS 10.3 has code in it to disable non MFI (Made For iPhone) accessories. Perhaps your aux cord is not certified.
You may have jumped from 10.2.1 or lower to 11, thus rendering your aux cord useless.
Do you get an 'Accessory not Supported' message?

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Could be that the cords’ plugs just aren't fitting into the jack properly. I’ve seen this issue with 1/8” jacks and plugs for many years…before even iPods were out. Using a blade to trim away a bit of the plastic at the base of the plug worked in some cases.

Well, the only problem is the Aux chords I am using I have been using for years.

IOS 10.3 has code in it to disable non MFI (Made For iPhone) accessories. Perhaps your aux cord is not certified.
You may have jumped from 10.2.1 or lower to 11, thus rendering your aux cord useless.
Do you get an 'Accessory not Supported' message?

See, this is the ******** I have been concerned about. I don’t know which version I upgraded from but I did not miss any upgrades and did them as they came up.
An Aux chord is an aux chord to me. It shouldn’t have to be ‘Certified’ to use it on a damn iPhone. I love the iPhone but when crap like this goes on it makes me want to switch. Does Apple even sell an aux chord??
What can we, as consumers, do to get them to change it back??

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've never seen or heard of an AUX cord getting the "Accessory not supported" message. I thought that was for lightning port accessories or the old-style charging adapters from pre-lightning days.

Well, the only problem is the Aux chords I am using I have been using for years.

On that iPhone? I see. The supplied headset is working OK, I presume?

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I've never seen or heard of an AUX cord getting the "Accessory not supported" message. I thought that was for lightning port accessories or the old-style charging adapters from pre-lightning days.

On that iPhone? I see. The supplied headset is working OK, I presume?

I have never had a “Accessory not Supported” message and have tried four 3.5 mm Aux chords that all worked before.

The headset that comes with the phone works fine.

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
So I just tried my Wife’s 6S plus (I have a 6S) with 11.1.1 and her Aux plug works. Confused.

To verify, my aux wasn’t working with 11.1.1.

Last edited:

ImDoubleD

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Okay boys and girls. Cleaned out the plug and now it’s working again. No software BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.