Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infohou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Houston, TX
Hello Folks,

I did not find this exact situation when I searched. I have a 6900XT card coming hopefully on Thursday. It has two full size display port connectors and one HDMI. The LG monitor has only a Thunderbolt input connector. I am not finding an adapter that goes that direction. Or will the TBolt connectors on the supplied internal expansion card send the video via one of it's TBolt ports as is the case now with the MX Vega Pro II I have now?

No Amazon links please.

Thanks,
Robert

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
You can get a bidirectional USB-C to DisplayPort adapter like this one:

However: The 6900XT can only run the Ultrafine 5k at 4k. There are no adapters that are known to fix that. This is a limitation of the display itself when used with an adapter or USB-C device.

infohou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks, do you know anybody besides Amazon that has it?

Also, the monitor has a TBolt logo on the port. Will USB actually work?

Nevermind, USB will work and I found the cable at Connection.

Last edited:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks, do you know anybody besides Amazon that has it?

Also, the monitor has a TBolt logo on the port. Will USB actually work?

Nevermind, USB will work and I found the cable at Connection.
Actually, thats another good question.

You need a 27MD5KL-B to do USB input. If you have an older model, it's not possible to use the display with a 6900 XT.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You can try 5K @ 39Hz (create a custom timing with SwitchResX).

5K @ 60Hz requires a Thunderbolt connection. Only MPX modules can supply DisplayPort to the four built-in Thunderbolt ports of the MacPro7,1. Noone has tried to create a DisplayPort input adapter for the MPX slot so that normal GPUs can use the Thunderbolt ports as outputs.

A Thunderbolt 3 add-in card could be installed and then two DisplayPort connections from the 6900XT can be connected to that so that the Thunderbolt port of the add-in card can supply 5K60 10bpc to the LG 5K display but there are issues with that - it might require an SSDT (injected by OpenCore) or it might require a modified firmware for the add-in card. Hackintosh forums may have info about that.

Another option is an eGPU with downstream Thunderbolt port such as the BlackMagic eGPU or the Sonnect eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5500 XT/5700 but this means using their GPU instead of yours.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
The Bi-Directional cable will not show the Brightness Control in the Display CP. Also the USB Ports on the back of the display will be dead. This Belkin cable fixes that:

If you're just interested in the bi-directional cable it's less expensive here:

Lou

infohou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Houston, TX
You can try 5K @ 39Hz (create a custom timing with SwitchResX).

5K @ 60Hz requires a Thunderbolt connection. Only MPX modules can supply DisplayPort to the four built-in Thunderbolt ports of the MacPro7,1. Noone has tried to create a DisplayPort input adapter for the MPX slot so that normal GPUs can use the Thunderbolt ports as outputs.

A Thunderbolt 3 add-in card could be installed and then two DisplayPort connections from the 6900XT can be connected to that so that the Thunderbolt port of the add-in card can supply 5K60 10bpc to the LG 5K display but there are issues with that - it might require an SSDT (injected by OpenCore) or it might require a modified firmware for the add-in card. Hackintosh forums may have info about that.

Another option is an eGPU with downstream Thunderbolt port such as the BlackMagic eGPU or the Sonnect eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5500 XT/5700 but this means using their GPU instead of yours.
I have read that about the MPX module. Are the Thunderbolt ports on the built in card at the top still usable otherwise? I would think so, but we all know Apple sometimes does odd things. I have seen the Gigabyte add in card, but would like to avoid that if possible. I'm OK for now with 4K.

BTW, not interested in an eGPU solution.

Thanks,
Robert

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I have read that about the MPX module. Are the Thunderbolt ports on the built in card at the top still usable otherwise? I would think so, but we all know Apple sometimes does odd things. I have seen the Gigabyte add in card, but would like to avoid that if possible. I'm OK for now with 4K.
The built-in Thunderbolt ports (top and I/O card) of the MacPro7,1 work for data but can't be used to connect displays without MPX modules.

I suggest the Belkin Charge and Sync cable so that you can use the USB features of the display (audio, brightness control, presets). It allows USB 2.0 so it isn't great for high speed external storage.

You might like 5K39.

infohou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Houston, TX
The built-in Thunderbolt ports (top and I/O card) of the MacPro7,1 work for data but can't be used to connect displays without MPX modules.

I suggest the Belkin Charge and Sync cable so that you can use the USB features of the display (audio, brightness control, presets). It allows USB 2.0 so it isn't great for high speed external storage.

You might like 5K39.
Thanks, I bought both cables and installed SwitchResX. I could not find the Belkin in the US, even Amazon is out with no ETA. So that one has to come from China. Hope to have the Startech cable tomorrow.

Folks, I really appreciate the help,
Robert

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.