Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Fell off my bike yesterday. My iPhone 7 Plus, though unmarked is now unresponsive. I cannot even power off.

It is still receiving messages, and I have connected to iTunes and backed everything up, and it has updated all the apps, so partially still working.

I have tried holding power button and volume button, but no success. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I might try before sending away for repair?

Which brings me to my next query.

Seeing as I can't power off, or erase all my data prior to sending away, Would it be better to run the battery right down to zero so the phone powers off before sending away?

Anything else I might try?

TIA

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I don't think there's anything you can do other than getting it repaired/replaced.

If you have "Find my iPhone" enabled, you can erase all data remotely.

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Is it just the power button that's unresponsive?

No. It's also the screen. I cannot enter the passcode, and have also noticed a small bright spot when screen is black when restting, so it seems there is some damage. Tried resetting, but nothing changes.

Next job is to find how to erase phone remotely as suggested by jetsam, so that I can return to Apple for repair.

Thanks

Reactions: AlliFlowers

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
UK
Update.

Was in Thailand when I broke my phone. Not easy to find a local Authorised dealer, so booked an appointment at Apple Store prior to my return last week. They could not repair, so replaced for free as was still under warrantee.

Happy days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.