Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Hi,

I just got 7+ and I restored back up from 6s Plus.
I noticed that when I press 2X zoom on camera app, instead of using a tele camera.
It appears that using a digital zoom from wide angle camera instead.
I know because I have my finger cover the tele camera while it's capturing.
But sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes the tele camera does work (mostly outdoor condition)

I've tried to reset all settings but it's still the same.
Anyone having this issue?

Edit. Also my friend's new 7+ didn't restore from backup, also having this optical zoom issue

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Hi,

I just got 7+ and I restored back up from 6s Plus.
I noticed that when I press 2X zoom on camera app, instead of using a tele camera.
It appears that using a digital zoom from wide angle camera instead.
I know because I have my finger cover the tele camera while it's capturing.
But sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes the tele camera does work (mostly outdoor condition)

I've tried to reset all settings but it's still the same.
Anyone having this issue?

Edit. Also my friend's new 7+ didn't restore from backup, also having this optical zoom issue

see:

"Every time you take a picture with the iPhone 7, both the wide angle and telephoto fire off. Yes, two 12 megapixel pictures for every shot. This could be a prime driver behind the increase of the iPhone 7 Plus’ memory to 3GB.

Both images are needed due to an Apple technique it is calling “fusion” internally. Fusion takes data from both sensors and merges them into the best possible picture for every condition. If, for instance, there is a low-light scene that has some dark areas, the image-processing chip could choose to pick up some image data (pixels or other stuff like luminance) from the brighter f1.8 wide angle and mix it in with the data from the f2.8 telephoto, creating a composite image on the fly without any input from the user. This fusion technique is available to every shot coming from the camera, which means that the iPhone 7 Plus is mixing and matching data every time that trigger is tapped.

This technique is made possible because the optics, coatings, sensors, perspectives and color balances of the two cameras are perfectly matched.

The fusion technique also comes in handy when using the new zoom functions of the iPhone 7 Plus."

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/13/review-apple-tees-up-the-future-with-iphone-7/

Reactions: muasachi

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
No, only the wide angle camera has image stabilization. But since it's really only used in well lit situations, OIS is less of a necessity on it.

Not to mention the wider a lens the less need there is for image stabilisation. Combined with the fact it's a wider aperture means it's probably used almost always when indoors unless it's very well lit.

Reactions: jlyork10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.