Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Ok, I went ahead and leapt. I have just bought and paid for a 2nd hand mint condition copy of this lens.:D I'm so chuffed. It should be here in about a week.

I was having doubts about it and it is seriously going to hurt my savings but I don't have anything above 55mm on a 1.6 x crop. I will be going on holiday next month to the greek islands, soooooo... I am justifying it by saying it is a great travel / portrait / outdoor sports lens. I hope I am right.

Does anyone have any experiences with this lens, or better yet, some pics to share from this lens?

Cheers

Andy

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
In my Night Photography thread, the first image I posted was shot with that lens. I really enjoyed that lens, it was light as a feather and tack sharp. I ultimately needed it to be faster, so I sold it and got the 2.8 IS version.

You'll have a blast with it, it's a terrific piece of kit.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I've heard this lens referred to as Canon's "gateway lens", in the same vein as a "gateway drug". You use it, you get used to its superb optics, and before you know it, you're replacing all your glass with L series glass. (I've never used it myself; my first shoot with L series glass was with the f/2.8 IS, and my first purchase in the L series - and only one to date - was the 100-400.)

For my money, I'd rather have the f/2.8 IS version. But you pay a premium for the extra stop and IS - in my case (going through a grey market importer), $AU1696. Sometimes you need the extra speed, sometimes you don't.

As long as the focal length range fits in with your needs, you'll find it to be an excellent lens, and well worth the money. You'll also find that, if/when you go to sell it in favour of the f/2.8 IS, you won't lose much in the process. (Some people hang on to the f/4, because it's so much lighter than the f/2.8 or f/2.8 IS. Your call to make if/when the time comes.)

I look forward to seeing what you manage to shoot with it. Above all, enjoy!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
That's a nice photo mike.

The 2.8 IS was never really an option. The extra stop and IS would be nice but there is no way (at the moment) that I would be able to afford it.

sji, If I ever come to sell it, I am almost sure of at least keeping my money. Items like this are really rare 2nd hand here in Denmark. A new one over here costs nearly three times what a new one costs in the US. It's absolutley crazy.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it. I already thought my 50mm f/1.4 was a great lens. So we'll see.

A quick question though. The minimum focusing distance switch on the side, when switched to 3m does it allow for faster AF on subjects further away than 3m? Do you notice the difference between the two settings?

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I love this lens. It is well worth the money for it and I would buy it again in a hearbeat!

I'm thinking that you'll be mighty happy!

(sorry, at work, no pics to share now.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.