Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Hi guys, planning to add a new lens to my arsenal consisting of the kit lens :p please guide me

I have decided that I will be going for a 70-300 and was planning to buy the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR. I went to the store today to check it out and I came across the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro which costs about 300$ less. I looked it up on the web and it seems to have racked up some decent reviews. Is the nikkor lens really 300$ better than the sigma. I guess the sigma does not have a VR, but I can live without that! Also does this sigma have an internal motor? I asked the guy at the store in broken japanese if it will autofocus with D40 and he said yes, but i'm not sure if the context was lost in tranlsation :)

Also how about the tamron 70-300? Any other lens suggestions? Budget is 600$ and I only have the 18-55 kit lens now.

This is my flick page if anyone interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/slimstudios

bashveank

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
I love my Sigma (same model you described).
I'm getting the nikkor 70-300 to test and I expect it'll outperform the Sigma, but the Sigma's still in no way a bad lens.
There is a non-HSM internal motor on the Sigma with "Works with D40" on the box.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Thanks bashveank...

I'm leaning towards the sigma. As much as I like photography, I dont really get the camera out that often. Once or twice in a month really. So I'm thinking the sigma would be a better option for my needs as of now.

bashveank

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Thanks bashveank...

I'm leaning towards the sigma. As much as I like photography, I dont really get the camera out that often. Once or twice in a month really. So I'm thinking the sigma would be a better option for my needs as of now.

Yeah, if you're not making money or the admiration of your very photographically inclined friends and family than there's no real way to justify the $300 extra on the Nikkor.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well by price, then its Sigma, but if photo/lens quality you are looking for, get Nikkor

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Yeah, if you're not making money or the admiration of your very photographically inclined friends and family than there's no real way to justify the $300 extra on the Nikkor.

:)

wheelhot
Agreed. If I had 600$ to throw away I would definitely get the nikkor. But I don't mind saving some money right now :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.