Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
My new twitter friend @Photo_John just wrapped up a weekend with the 7D, he's been putting up various pictures on his site for a few days now.

He posted this up about 20 minutes ago

Canon 7D Image Samples

From the site:

These high-resolution studio sample photos were taken with the new 18-megapixel Canon EOS 7D digital camera and the new EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens at a focal length of 55mm. All sample photos were shot as RAW + JPEG in Aperture Priority mode at f/8.0 using the tungsten white balance preset. The high-res images are from the JPEG files because Canon didn’t send us the RAW software. When we get the RAW software we’ll replace these with images converted from the RAW files. No adjustments have been made to the JPEGs other than adding the logo and graybar.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Ah So Excited!

I really can't wait for this camera. I'm a filmmaker and I recently got into photography, this will be my first DSLR (Don't worry I've used several before, but this will be MINE). The stills seem to be pretty competent and the video is just incredible. If anyone is interested in the video (Though photogs seem to be very upset about this new video SLR movement for whatever reason) you can check out these videos by THE Philip Bloom. He got a test unit and he's been killing himself to get test footage up for those interested. Why are you photogs so angry about this new functionality? Just curious.

http://vimeo.com/6475938
http://vimeo.com/6425802

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Finally, some good videos made on it! I saw a few that were basically just put it on a tripod in front of your house and shoot a car going by (booooring!). Looks dang good, dang very good. I have no idea why there is a slight uprising about DSLR's doing video. I think it's a welcome addition, it's not like it's hurting the quality of the photography at all.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Finally, some good videos made on it! I saw a few that were basically just put it on a tripod in front of your house and shoot a car going by (booooring!). Looks dang good, dang very good. I have no idea why there is a slight uprising about DSLR's doing video. I think it's a welcome addition, it's not like it's hurting the quality of the photography at all.

some argue that the time and resources spent on developing video features could have been better spent on further improving photography-centered features, or that the costs of including video in the camera could be substituted with lower priced models or better features in a given camera range (i.e. 100% viewfinder, better weather sealing, etc).

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
...better features in a given camera range (i.e. 100% viewfinder, better weather sealing, etc).

The 7D has a 100% viewfinder and it's weather sealed, so they actually threw that in there as well. (Link) Among many more very new features. So, I understand the argument, but this camera seems to stare that argument right back in the face.

And, seeing as Canon already makes HD Cameras, I don't think implementing the feature was really that major of a development process, that is, if the Digic processor runs the same programming language as the Video Digic processors. And it would make sense that they do... I think :)

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
some argue that the time and resources spent on developing video features could have been better spent on further improving photography-centered features, or that the costs of including video in the camera could be substituted with lower priced models or better features in a given camera range (i.e. 100% viewfinder, better weather sealing, etc).

First, it hardly costs Canon anything to implement the video. Second, they couldn't have gone any lower due to the xxD series. Third, video is going to be here from now on in every single dSLR (from Canon at least) so guys, live with it :rolleyes:

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Took a look at the photos... EXTREMELY aggressive noise reduction at around ISO 1600 and up... look at the text of the open book and compare it to the ISO 100... it's somewhat of a useless comparison until we can see the RAW

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Took a look at the photos... EXTREMELY aggressive noise reduction at around ISO 1600 and up... look at the text of the open book and compare it to the ISO 100... it's somewhat of a useless comparison until we can see the RAW

Yeah, apparently the 5DmII does that to its JPEGs as well. I'm very keen to see some raw files from a 7D. I'd also like to see what DxO makes of its sensor. The time is coming for me to upgrade my camera. Alas, my trusty little XSi can't deliver all that I need at this point.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Which is why nobody (except maybe Ken Rockwell) still shoots only JPEG. ;)

Yeah, apparently the 5DmII does that to its JPEGs as well. I'm very keen to see some raw files from a 7D. I'd also like to see what DxO makes of its sensor.
Still trying to track down a date when DxO will support Snow Leopard, let alone the 7D with the new 15-85mm.

ArtandStructure

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Still trying to track down a date when DxO will support Snow Leopard, let alone the 7D with the new 15-85mm.

Don't hold your breath. My experience with the current state of DxO and their product has been one of a company with little interest in the Mac platform beyond expanding their saleable market, and a questionable sense of direction in their own product's functionality and design. Mac development trails PC development in both time and quality fairly significantly last I saw.

All the best,

Jesse Widener
Art and Structure

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Plenty of people shoot jpg, because many of them know when to use it and when not to. If you need to shoot a long sequence of photos, for instance, you may be better off shooting jpg as the buffer gets filled a lot more quickly if you shoot RAW.
It was a joke. The smilie with the "wink" was supposed to denote that...

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Are there any photogs interested in this camera?

I would be, except that my 40D produces images that are perfectly fine. The only thing that the 7D would do for me would be give me more megapixels to crop out my mistakes; imagine using only 1/4 of the frame and still having a file of over 4mp!

The photos look pretty good up to 1600; I would want to see anything over that coming from my own experiments before I would say they were good or not.

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
I thought the wink was directed at Ken Rockwell …*

I think Ken actually has some pretty valid points for a lot of photographers. I shoot raw sometimes but quite often I shoot JPG and let the camera to the processing. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to process a bunch of pictures.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
The reason i asked that question was because I have seen a lot of photographers that are just like "eh" to the camera, but a lot of video/film guys like myself are going ape **** over it. I think the camera just passes at 3200, but best quality def stops at 1600 yeah.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think the camera just passes at 3200, but best quality def stops at 1600 yeah.

I agree. 3200 looks quite usable. Most importantly for me, it looks about like ISO 800 on my XSi. Pretty incredible, given the pixel density.

I think it's fair to say that the 7D will see the same kind of demand as the 5DmII. It will probably be a very hot item for the next year, complete with supply shortages.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Ugh I hope my money hurries up and comes in cause I don't want to have to struggle looking around for the camera for ages.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I thought the wink was directed at Ken Rockwell …*

If that were the case, I would've put a PayPal "Donate" button on the bottom of my post with some crybaby whining pity-party about needing help to support the size of my growing family (as if that somehow was anyone else's fault) and then linked that page to one with a gratuitous pic of me holding some monster expensive Nikon birder glass that I just happened to own.

;) <--- Note: "Wink" smilie attached!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I think Ken actually has some pretty valid points for a lot of photographers. I shoot raw sometimes but quite often I shoot JPG and let the camera to the processing. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to process a bunch of pictures.
Yeah, he does. Problem is to sort out the good advice from the bad. I don't find him as bad as others portray him, though, and his general advice to stop worrying about technology and starting to take pictures hits home, too. People start nitpicking about details and some are wrong or at least need to be qualified.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Problem is to sort out the good advice from the bad.

and since it's new photographers who read his site (and take it seriously) the most, that makes it completely pointless. he doesn't have much of anything to say, and what there is is buried 6ft deep in crap. just go somewhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.