Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UWF404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Ok, I'm a newbie to this camera so please bare with me. However, yesterday I was out taking pictures at a soccer game with the 7D and a 70-200MM IS L lens. I had the camera set to TV, auto ISO and high speed continuous shooting. Was having fun.. Somewhere between my first round of shots and the second the high speed mode quit working and would only shoot normal mode? Also, I've noticed that shooting indoors in high speed mode works some of the time only.

I must be missing something?

UWF404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
How long between the 1st and 2nd batch of shots? How many shots per batch? How fast is your CF card?

I shot a few in high speed mode and then stopped shooting for 5 minutes. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card (30mb/s)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I would use Av instead of Tv. This way I could control lens aperture and isolate the subject a little easier.

When that happens again, make sure that the camera is still set to AI-Servo and burst mode. At least with my 40D, I can sometimes change the setting from burst to single-shot if I am not paying attention.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I shot a few in high speed mode and then stopped shooting for 5 minutes. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card (30mb/s)

The card you are using is not the fastest and is not UDMA compatible, which is required for the maximum frame rate. There are other factors that affect shooting speed like ISO speed, focus., picture style, low battery, lens, etc.
Low light or indoor photos will also reduce the maximum frame rate.

Canon's claim of 8 frames/sec is with ISO 100, normal picture style.

DPP's review of the camera was able to attain the maximum frame rate using the Sandisk Extreme Pro (90mb/sec) CF card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.