Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
hey everyone. Wasn't really sure where to post this but here it goes. I went to download 7zip archive/zip software from their website. Curious, as I always am, ;) I wanted to verify the checksum for the exe. I was looking online and I stumbled upon another link for 7zip with a posted checksum at bitser.org. Here's the kicker I download the 64 bit version but the checksum doesn't match 7-zip.org version but it does the bitser version. The bitser version is 7 kb larger than 7-zip. See photo please. Can I download a legit version of 7 zip and if so where. Can some others maybe check and see what results you get. This kind of stuff makes it hard to trust software distributors/creators. (I wish every developer offered a SHA256 checksum for the downloads. I can wish can't I?)

Edit: Apparently I'm not smart enough to add a picture on here :( It's too large from my phone and from the website I can only add it from a URL.

Checksums: 7z1604-x64(1).exe
SHA-256: eaf4de476bffd1dad628ac0862dd605c69e10f069a7f606a28913032d852de35 (From Bitser)

Checksums: 7z1604-x64.exe
SHA-256: 9bb4dc4fab2a2a45c15723c259dc2f7313c89a5ac55ab7c3f76bba26edc8bcaa (From 7-zip.org)

Last edited:

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
If you need 7-zip for Windows then there is only ONE place to download it. You should only EVER download software from the SOURCE website (i.e. http://7-zip.org/). Downloading software from ANY "download" site WILL result in repackaged software with crapware installers added (at best) and a trojan (at worst).

Good for you for checking the hash but someone that checks the hash should also know to never download from a source other than the developer's website.

Lastly, do you really need 7-zip in 2017? Windows and Mac have had basic zipping/unzipping in the GUI for years and macOS has command line tools to do nearly any compression or archival format that you may need.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've seen stuff on Windows that seems to require 7zip, no? I agree about only getting it from the official site unless you want a surprise or two. ;)

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
I've seen stuff on Windows that seems to require 7zip, no? I agree about only getting it from the official site unless you want a surprise or two. ;)

However without a checksum you won't know either way. Remember handbrake just recently had one of their download mirrors compromised and you could have downloaded handbrake from the "developer" and still have a piece of corrupted software. The only way to be sure is to provide a SHA256 checksum or something similar. Any developer could find the checksum and post it on the website within minutes. Why not use the tools at our disposal?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
However without a checksum you won't know either way. Remember handbrake just recently had one of their download mirrors compromised and you could have downloaded handbrake from the "developer" and still have a piece of corrupted software. The only way to be sure is to provide a SHA256 checksum or something similar. Any developer could find the checksum and post it on the website within minutes. Why not use the tools at our disposal?

I agree but did not realize that Windows 10 had the ability to work with 7zip files natively.

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
I agree but did not realize that Windows 10 had the ability to work with 7zip files natively.

Yes it's one of the slick new built-in features of Windows 10. All the more reason to use it IMHO. Couldn't get much easier than right-clicking the file and selecting "CRC" from the menu.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.