Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionfleet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm deciding between the new 6 and 8 core Macbook Pro 15".
I do a lot of video editing and Photoshop.

I'd love to get the new 8 core... but I heard that of all Macbooks the higher end model always devalues the most once you buy it. I upgrade and resell my Macbook Pro every 3 or so years so I want to get the model that will get me the best bang for the buck.

Would I be OK getting the 8 core and re-selling it later on? Or wiser to sacrificee some performance and get 6 core?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
the higher end model always devalues the most once you buy it
That’s true of anything...cars, boats, appliances, etc. Generally, though, I don’t think you get much resale value from the non-standard upgrades. Just get what pleases you most and don’t worry about depreciation.

Reactions: ascender

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I'd actually say something like this would be the exception to that rule.

The reason being is that usually upgrades are poor marginal value... ie. paying something like 20% more for like a 10% extra value that will just depreciate over time. In this case the performance improvement in speed alone, not to mention the other benefits, make the 8 core a better value than the 6 core, and I think that better relative value will translate to the used market even a few years from now.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The bang/buck calculation can actually be done mathematically. Using the Geekbench scores and the best list prices to compare (which requires 512GB SSD and Radeon Pro 560 graphics) we get:
Untitled_numbers.jpg

So assuming you need the bang, the 2.3 i9 gives the most bang per buck.

I agree, though, that the i7 will give the least depreciation.

Attachments

• Untitled_numbers.jpg
    Untitled_numbers.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: Wahlstrm

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Maybe not the same thing but I am trying to sell an iMac now that I had custom ordered with extra RAM and an SSD.

I am selling it on a popular site where I live for Classifieds.

Every call I get, the people compare it to other iMacs on the site that have 1tb spinning drive and less RAM and couldn't care less that my machine had better upgrades and don't want to pay more.

Im expecting the same when my MBP goes on there soon.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Storage and minimum 16GB RAM (and reputation af the model year) will determine resell value. People buying used are looking for a bargain, not power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.