Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Anyone having issues with intermittent headphone play when plugged into the lightning port?

When I plug headphones (any brand), it sometimes takes 2 or 3 times of plugging and unplugging it in to get it to play via the headphones. My husbands 8plus is doing this also. It’s super intermittent and doesn’t do it all the time so it’s annoying.

Wondering if this is a software or hardware thing. We have less than a week left of our return window.

toadfromfl

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
The same thing has been happening to me with my iPhone 8+, also happens when I am charging it too. I had my phone switched out at the store and the new phone still does the same thing. Did you return the phone or has your situation improved?

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
The same thing has been happening to me with my iPhone 8+, also happens when I am charging it too. I had my phone switched out at the store and the new phone still does the same thing. Did you return the phone or has your situation improved?

Hi! Yep, I did get the phone replaced (for other issues actually) but sadly it still does it with the new phone. Every now and then when I plug in headphones, it plays through the phone speakers. So annoying! Luckily though it always ends up working by unplugging and replugging it in a few times. I’m guessing it’s a software bug since it’s happening on lots of phones. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

toadfromfl

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Thanks for the response! I haven't found a lot of people discussing this issue online, so I felt like I was going crazy and having awful luck with my phones, haha. Does the problem also occur when you're charging the phone? Sometimes it's okay for me, but a lot of the times when I am charging my phone and I move it so slightly it disconnects from charging and then reconnects automatically.

This is very annoying! I've left Apple some feedback so hopefully it can push them a little bit to resolve the issue. Probably won't do much, but hopefully it does something!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Hi! Yep, I did get the phone replaced (for other issues actually) but sadly it still does it with the new phone. Every now and then when I plug in headphones, it plays through the phone speakers. So annoying! Luckily though it always ends up working by unplugging and replugging it in a few times. I’m guessing it’s a software bug since it’s happening on lots of phones. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Make sure and file a bug report with Apple.

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
[doublepost=1512280947][/doublepost]
Thanks for the response! I haven't found a lot of people discussing this issue online, so I felt like I was going crazy and having awful luck with my phones, haha. Does the problem also occur when you're charging the phone? Sometimes it's okay for me, but a lot of the times when I am charging my phone and I move it so slightly it disconnects from charging and then reconnects automatically.

This is very annoying! I've left Apple some feedback so hopefully it can push them a little bit to resolve the issue. Probably won't do much, but hopefully it does something!

Yep, the charging issue happens to me to. Has happened with every phone but it’s been the worst since the invention of the lightning port. Especially if you use after-market cables. Although Apple brand cables do it for me also. Having to wiggle the cord or flip it over a few times and toggle it to the sweet spot to charge is annoying as hell. Seems to happen when that 4th pin on the lightning unit gets burnt out or corroded. It’s unfortunately a design flaw and has happened with all my cables. Apparently it’s an electrical phenomenon of the lightning pin (google it, it’s a thing). Best bet is to just keep buying new cables when they start burning out. Alternatively you can try to clean the pin head with alcohol. This sometimes helps clear some of the corrosion on the 4th pin. Cleaning out your lightning port can help too. Sadly though, that 4th pin burning thing will always happens and it’s a design flaw of the cables. Anyway, good luck! I know these small issues annoy me to no end too. (Yet like most of us do, we continue to buy new phones year after year LOL)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.