Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8GB or 16GB

• Total voters

jcscoetzee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
Hi all,

I ordered the 256GB TouchBar model with 8GB and am having second thoughts on the RAM. My use is fairly moderate, however.

No real plans for gaming, occasional large numbers/excel document use, will never really need to run more than 5 tabs in Safari. The only tasks I see that would be memory consuming would be editing 4K footage from my Phantom 4 Pro and editing photos from my DSLR.

I’ll likely upgrade within 2-3 years, so is 16GB nessecary in your eyes?

Put me at ease!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm rocking with 8GB with my iMac, running Lightroom, PS (light usage), office apps and few other things. The consensus will be to get 16GB because you cannot upgrade the ram after the fact.

Reactions: Ezcompane

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Had 8GB in my 2012er MBPR all these years and it worked well, even today.
With similar usage to what you are describing, it usually uses about 6-7GB of the 8GB available. So there is not alot of headroom left.

Which is why i ordered 16GB this time around. I intend to keep this machine for at least 5 years and 8GB seems too risky.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Hi all,

I ordered the 256GB TouchBar model with 8GB and am having second thoughts on the RAM. My use is fairly moderate, however.

No real plans for gaming, occasional large numbers/excel document use, will never really need to run more than 5 tabs in Safari. The only tasks I see that would be memory consuming would be editing 4K footage from my Phantom 4 Pro and editing photos from my DSLR.

I’ll likely upgrade within 2-3 years, so is 16GB nessecary in your eyes?

Put me at ease!

As always, it depends on what you need to do. I am on 8GB 128GB SSD MacbookAir 2013. Never had a day to day task which needed more RAM. If you are into professional video editing though, its a different thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.