Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Since Canon's entire camera lineup (I assume Nikon too) uses 3:2 ratio for its sensor, I find it really annoying to see nothing but 8x10 frames, mats, albums, etc. Some pictures can be cropped that way, but the natural sensor images are 3:2, producing 8x12 images.

I have a slew of 8x12 prints that I want to put into an album (slip in is fine) or portfolio with expandable insert sheets. Classy is preferred, and I don't mind paying a little more for quality. Any ideas?

MPOpro has some good looking options (even panorama albums!) but the price is steep enough to make me want to shop around before pulling the trigger.

Has anyone found a classy way to display 8x12 photos in a book/album/portfolio?

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
I like your avatar. It's hilarious.
Anyway, for my portfolio I have an 8x10 ITOYA Art Portfolio. It looks pretty cool. Nice and simple with slip-in pages.
On their website the only size I see close to what you want is 9x12. Sure you'd have an inch, but maybe you can make that the gutter and push the photo to the outer edge of the poly page.
edit: Oh, and I think mine was only like $15 or so at a local pro camera shop. (Houston Camera Exchange)

edit #2: Do you frequent any photo forums? i.e. POTN?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Thanks for the reply!

ITOYA products would be the perfect solution but I really do want to have a perfect fit if I am going to go through the hassle of putting photos on display. Ugh, it's such a silly problem to have.

I went ahead and ordered some overpriced albums from MPOPro.net -- they will definitely work, and hopefully the quality justifies the price. The 8x12 hardcover and 10x24 panoramic versions come in on Tuesday.

I don't frequent POTN (or the others) very often. I find that they frequently have threads that turn into pissing matches between diva photogs. People here can feel free to ask and learn from others more comfortably -- that's the community I'd like to be a part of. [group e-hug] :)

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
Yeah, I feel you on the members of POTN. Some can be straight up ******s. There's a few users on there I'm familiar with and we're pretty cool.
I usually like to frequent forums though because I like to study other peoples work, and sometimes the cool photogs will explain how they achieved the look they have.
I'm new here and it seems pretty cool so far. But I'm sure every forum has it's share of undesirables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.