Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
I not say technically hardware expert here. I currently still using iPhone 7+ that including the charging plug . So now the new Iphone is using USB C. Can I use my Iphone 7+ charging plug connect the new USB C cable to charge the new Iphone 15?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I not say technically hardware expert here. I currently still using iPhone 7+ that including the charging plug . So now the new Iphone is using USB C. Can I use my Iphone 7+ charging plug connect the new USB C cable to charge the new Iphone 15?
Absolutely. You’ll just need a USBA to USBC cable.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Absolutely. You’ll just need a USBA to USBC cable.
hmm in apple store has? because I don't like to attach cable to mac charge iPhone. I do know should be the present iMac even those old one having thunderbot port can charge the new iPhone 15 ?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
hmm in apple store has? because I don't like to attach cable to mac charge iPhone. I do know should be the present iMac even those old one having thunderbot port can charge the new iPhone 15 ?
Apple will sell but just buy far cheaper on Amazon or just about anywhere else.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Apple will sell but just buy far cheaper on Amazon or just about anywhere else.
let say i get iphone 14 plus I check they also don't have charger include only USB-C to Lightning Cable can use that charger which I using for my iphone 7 + ? A bit confuse come these what USB C cable for me.....i do check around on apple site they do sell the charger which name USB-C Power Adapter. Summary is Iphone 14 plus the cable can be used on that adapter which iPhone 7+ come with it? or I need to get USB C power Adapter? Funny is now iphone never included the adapter which their iPad got include.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
For fast charging i would buy a 20 watt charger.
well this is my thought too ...by the way iphone 14 plus same? cannot use iphone 7+ charger ? Sorry to ask so much as come iPhone I quite long never go to the spec stuffs to see as i still using iPhone 7+ . Next it seem like my XiaoMi powerbank can't use to charged the new iPhone ?

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
Any cable and charger that works for the 7+ will work for the 14 Plus. It uses the same lightning port. For fast charging you will need at least a 20 watt charging brick that is USB-C and use a USB-C to Lightning cable.

If you get the 15, you will either need to get a USB-A to USB-C cable to charge with your current charging brick or get a USB-C charging brick and use the cable that comes with the 15.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
14 plus will need this, too. It cannot be charged with the 7 adapter.

That is incorrect. The 7+ comes with a 5watt charging brick and USB-A to Lightning cable. That most certainly can be used to charge the 14 Plus and the other 14 models (14, 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max). The only downside is the longer charging times.

Many members on here use the 5 watt brick to charge their 14 model phones to reduce heat and preserve battery health.

In fact my 14 Pro is currently plugged in and charging using the 5 watt charging brick.

If the OP wants to use the included USB-C to Lightning cable that comes with the 14 Plus, then they will need to buy a USB-C charging brick.

Reactions: slplss and Brad7

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
That is incorrect. The 7+ comes with a 5watt charging brick and USB-A to Lightning cable. That most certainly can be used to charge the 14 Plus and the other 14 models (14, 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max). The only downside is the longer charging times.

Many members on here use the 5 watt brick to charge their 14 model phones to reduce heat and preserve battery health.

In fact my 14 Pro is currently plugged in and charging using the 5 watt charging brick.

If the OP wants to use the included USB-C to Lightning cable that comes with the 14 Plus, then they will need to buy a USB-C charging brick.
So let say I get 14 plus means I no need buy any accessory than as mention you claim is the Same for iphone 7+ I just back the same charging lighting cable and the charger which come with my iPhone 7+ right?

whereas IF I get 15 means I need to buy a New charger plug cannot use my iPhone 7+ charging plug.

The last question is I got this China brand call " Xiaomi " power bank. So if I got iphone 15 I cannot use this power bank? need to get a sort of adaptor to use the USB C to charge the iPhone 15 ? If you get what I mean thanks

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022

Yes, you are correct. My mistake. I was still thinking about the cable that came in the 14 box. But OP can charge the 14 with the 7’s cable and adapter.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
So let say I get 14 plus means I no need buy any accessory than as mention you claim is the Same for iphone 7+ I just back the same charging lighting cable and the charger which come with my iPhone 7+ right?

whereas IF I get 15 means I need to buy a New charger plug cannot use my iPhone 7+ charging plug.

The last question is I got this China brand call " Xiaomi " power bank. So if I got iphone 15 I cannot use this power bank? need to get a sort of adaptor to use the USB C to charge the iPhone 15 ? If you get what I mean thanks

1. Yes that is correct. If you were to get the 14 Plus, you can use your existing charging brick and cable from your 7+. Do note the charging speeds will be slower. If you wanted to charge a bit faster you can get the 12 watt USB-A iPad charging brick and use your current USB-A to Lightning cable. If you wanted to use the cable that comes with the 14 Plus, you will need to get the 20 watt USB-C charging brick that Apple sells or something similar from 3rd party.

2. Yes, if you get the 15, you will not be able to use the charging brick or cable from your 7+ unless you get a USB-A to USB-C cable which will then work with the charging brick from your 7+. If you want to use the cable that comes with the 15, you'll need to get the 20 watt USB-C charging brick.

3. To use the power bank, you'll need a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
1. Yes that is correct. If you were to get the 14 Plus, you can use your existing charging brick and cable from your 7+. Do note the charging speeds will be slower. If you wanted to charge a bit faster you can get the 12 watt USB-A iPad charging brick and use your current USB-A to Lightning cable. If you wanted to use the cable that comes with the 14 Plus, you will need to get the 20 watt USB-C charging brick that Apple sells or something similar from 3rd party.

2. Yes, if you get the 15, you will not be able to use the charging brick or cable from your 7+ unless you get a USB-A to USB-C cable which will then work with the charging brick from your 7+. If you want to use the cable that comes with the 15, you'll need to get the 20 watt USB-C charging brick.

thanks for the info. One more thing. The 14 plus the cable come with it is not USB C right because Apple just intro USB C on iphone 15.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
14+ has usb-c to lightning cable, 15 will have usb-c on both ends
Thanks no wonder 14+ still can be charged using my current iPhone 7+ cable and charging plug. Now I browse around if see " let say I plan to upgrade from 7+ " which one should i get? At first I see the 14 plus max price drop since 15 launch. the price is like if I want to get a bigger screen than 14 plus max is the one whereas the price for it , i only can get 15 plus not the big screen one.

I not say fancy about big screen, so the best choice I get should be 15 than on top I have to buy the USB adaptor if I want to charge from charging plug ?

Side note , come iPad Air the screen size is like iPad mini? or slight wider a bit?

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Now since we all now what cable to use, lets talk about the best charging strategy to preserve battery health:)

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019

does apple store sell USB-A to USB-C cable?

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
does apple store sell USB-A to USB-C cable?
you can get a usb c to c cable and 30w charging brick from anker for around 40$ on amazon. no point to use USB A to C, and if you just want the USB-C charging brick, you could probably find one from anker for around 20-25$ on amazon

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
you can get a usb c to c cable and 30w charging brick from anker for around 40$ on amazon. no point to use USB A to C, and if you just want the USB-C charging brick, you could probably find one from anker for around 20-25$ on amazon
Current iPhone has USB-C to USB-C cable but I think OP wants to slow charge hence the USB_C to USB-A cable.

Retroworldnews

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Current iPhone has USB-C to USB-C cable but I think OP wants to slow charge hence the USB_C to USB-A cable.
Well I still using iphone 7+ just last year happen to change a new battery. Still working ok. I was curious on the new charging port since the latest iPhone now using USB C . Partly " if " I going to get one I will just buy the plug.

Is kinda ....? I check whereas on the latest iPad they provided the Power plug beside USB C cable whereas the iPhone only have the usb c cable.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Well I still using iphone 7+ just last year happen to change a new battery. Still working ok. I was curious on the new charging port since the latest iPhone now using USB C . Partly " if " I going to get one I will just buy the plug.

Is kinda ....? I check whereas on the latest iPad they provided the Power plug beside USB C cable whereas the iPhone only have the usb c cable.
My english not that good. I thought you bought a iphone 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.