Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
My first real post with a bunch of pictures I've taken (and done massive PP on) over the past year. I'd like to know what you guys think...C&C are welcome!! Thanks!

4 Corners
2442243880083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Ring the Bell
2266081290083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Comic Book Philly
2019578130083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

I Want
2508649540083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Igor Color Splash
2553720320083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Light Me Up
2427402860083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Piano Couple
2070650980083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Piano Couple 2
2742941030083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Moving Stillness
2479994140083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Sunrise over Masada
2030061840083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Tranquility
2948801740083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

War Stories
2103570590083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

Tropical Bay (for some reason this one looks better in full size...quality wise. i think webshots or something gave it a pixelated look)
2676555810083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

And Last but not least, my self:
Who's Lookin' at me?
2074740840083874073S600x600Q85.jpg

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks!! I can't take credit for composure/exposure of the last one (no duh!), my friend took it and it was entirely a "let me aim the camera in a random direction and snap" kind of shot. it came out awesome, and i did a ton of PP on it (mostly to clean up my skin. it looked terrible so close up!).

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry to be a bit negative, but I don't really like the first two (fan and light fixture). I do think the way you managed the exposure was nice, mostly on the fan one, but I don't like the subject and I don't like that the light fixture seems to be upside down.

I think I basically don't see the point of them. They don't tell a story.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I actually like very much the first two. Excellent -- but I find that adding the signature is rather repellent. It kills them.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
All of them have too much compression artifacts visible, it distracts me while viewing them. But I'll overlook that, as they're only web-versions.

4 Corners
Nice symmetry, and it's a good take on alternate view points. I'd try to make it even more symmetric by standing perfectly centered under it.

Ring the Bell
Good idea. Unfortunately I don't think I would've gotten it (at first glance) without the title.

Comic Book Philly
I find it boring.

I Want
Don't like the partial desaturation. Now if it was completely desaturated and had more punch (contrast, etc.) and her face was more in focus, it'll work for me.

Igor Color Splash
no, doesn't work at all for me. Again, the partial desaturation bugs me and beneath that it's just a snapshot.

Light Me Up
Unfortunately the straight on flash killed all the mood by making the background dark. Again the desaturation ...

Piano Couple & Piano Couple 2
Again, the colour ...
Number 2 as something though.

Moving Stillness
I like it already,, but it looks a little flat. It would be great if there were some blurry, moving people visible, to give it more depth.

Sunrise over Masada
looks powerful

Tranquility
that's a strange grey sky.

War Stories
boring

Tropical Bay
It's good, the colour and all, but is that horizon crooked a little?

Who's Lookin' at me?
The compression really destroys this one, it's hard to comment that way. I think the soft tones are good, as they flatter you.

hope I wasn't too direct, but it's the way I see it anyway, other's will see it differently,

have a nice day.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Some of these are nice, but on the whole, nothing exceptional.

My major criticisms are the lack of interesting subject matter (you have to look around for your shots a little more) and the directional flash (ack!!). If you're serious about photography, you have to start using an off camera flash... few things will improve photos that require additional light more than a flash directed from above or, better yet, bounced off the ceiling.

A good start. Keep practicing!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
GOOD: I don't like too much PP in photography but you get away with it in the first 3 images. I like abstract stuff and like them.

BAD: The rest of the images aren't very interesting, by separating them into black and white with bits of colour sprinkled here and there you're not adding anything to the images by doing it. 'Light Me Up' is fine in B&W so leave it as that.

UGLY: Please don't sign your photographs, kick that habit now. Artists sign the back of their work generally so as to not distract from the piece and even the great artists don't do it bar watermarking (even then they have to place it in the image not around it so it doesn't get copied).

Moving Stillness
I like it already,, but it looks a little flat. It would be great if there were some blurry, moving people visible, to give it more depth.

Tranquility

War Stories
boring

I agree with 'Moving Stillness', it lacks punch. With Tranquility the grey sky is so unappealing and I actually 'War Stories' is evocative is the Vietnam war so it partially works. But only because of the title not the image. The title shouldn't cover up anything you couldn't capture in the image. The only way you could would be to actually find a river with some wreckage from a war and shoot that.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
the light fixture seems to be upside down.

I think I basically don't see the point of them. They don't tell a story.

the light fixture is upside down. ;) i took it, not to tell a story, but b/c i think it looked neat. Thanks for the input!

I actually like very much the first two. Excellent -- but I find that adding the signature is rather repellent. It kills them.

Thanks!! do you think reworking my sig. would be a better idea? something smaller and less subtle? or completely remove it all together?

All of them have too much compression artifacts visible, it distracts me while viewing them. But I'll overlook that, as they're only web-versions.
thanks!! ;)

4 Corners
Nice symmetry, and it's a good take on alternate view points. I'd try to make it even more symmetric by standing perfectly centered under it.

Ring the Bell
Good idea. Unfortunately I don't think I would've gotten it (at first glance) without the title.

Comic Book Philly
I find it boring.

I Want
Don't like the partial desaturation. Now if it was completely desaturated and had more punch (contrast, etc.) and her face was more in focus, it'll work for me.

Igor Color Splash
no, doesn't work at all for me. Again, the partial desaturation bugs me and beneath that it's just a snapshot.

Light Me Up
Unfortunately the straight on flash killed all the mood by making the background dark. Again the desaturation ...

Piano Couple & Piano Couple 2
Again, the colour ...
Number 2 as something though.

Moving Stillness

Sunrise over Masada
looks powerful

Tranquility

War Stories
boring

Tropical Bay
It's good, the colour and all, but is that horizon crooked a little?

Who's Lookin' at me?
The compression really destroys this one, it's hard to comment that way. I think the soft tones are good, as they flatter you.

hope I wasn't too direct, but it's the way I see it anyway, other's will see it differently,

have a nice day.
wow...thanks!! the colors for each one...i changed the levels on most of them until i thought they looked nice. different strokes for different folks.

Some of these are nice, but on the whole, nothing exceptional.

My major criticisms are the lack of interesting subject matter (you have to look around for your shots a little more) and the directional flash (ack!!). If you're serious about photography, you have to start using an off camera flash... few things will improve photos that require additional light more than a flash directed from above or, better yet, bounced off the ceiling.

A good start. Keep practicing!

i used my sb-800 on most of these...Igor, light me up, and the piano couple all had bounce flash's on them. these were my first shots really using my camera. (i had it for about 2 weeks) and i borrowed my friends flash. (using it for the first time) so i was experimenting. thanks!!

GOOD: I don't like too much PP in photography but you get away with it in the first 3 images. I like abstract stuff and like them.

BAD: The rest of the images aren't very interesting, by separating them into black and white with bits of colour sprinkled here and there you're not adding anything to the images by doing it. 'Light Me Up' is fine in B&W so leave it as that.

UGLY: Please don't sign your photographs, kick that habit now. Artists sign the back of their work generally so as to not distract from the piece and even the great artists don't do it bar watermarking (even then they have to place it in the image not around it so it doesn't get copied).

I agree with 'Moving Stillness', it lacks punch. With Tranquility the grey sky is so unappealing and I actually 'War Stories' is evocative is the Vietnam war so it partially works. But only because of the title not the image. The title shouldn't cover up anything you couldn't capture in the image. The only way you could would be to actually find a river with some wreckage from a war and shoot that.

thanks for the input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.