Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys!
I've been searching all over the internet, reading reviews, looking at Flickr photos, trying to find a compact point-and-shoot camera that has pretty good video quality that runs no higher than $250 US. I was hoping for about $200. I'll be using this thing on like vacations or trips to NYC, stuff like that. For family parties, home photos, etc., I'll be using the Fuji FinePix I currently own. I just want a small camera with good quality that I can take in my purse to school or whatever. Somewhere where the FinePix would be either too big or too expensive to bring along with me. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Sony DSC-S600: CNET Review.
There are a lot of positive reviews on the 'net about this camera. Not just on CNET too. I read some at Best Buy and one other place. So, any thoughts on this camera? You guys are probably more advanced in the ways of buying a camera than me. Every camera I've ever owned, my grandpa gave me and he was an experienced photographer. But he died about 3-4 months ago so now I'm on my own.

Thank you guys! :)
-Cait

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Hey,

Sorry to hear about your grandad.

But I got that camera yesterday, my main specification for it was that it uses the same memory sticks as my psp and mobile phone.

It is really good tho, I have taken 100 shots and it hasn't messed up a single one (and I'm pretty poor at taking pictures) in varying conditions of indoors, outdoors, sun and light.

The movie function is pretty good, and although it doesnt allow for a lot of manual setting up like iso settings or whatever, but I'd only ruin a load of pictures if I was able to make those changes!!

All in all for £130 I'm pretty happy with it, although its probably not long enough time of me owning it to say, 'just go and buy it...'

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Caitlyn said:
Hey guys!
I've been searching all over the internet, reading reviews, looking at Flickr photos, trying to find a compact point-and-shoot camera that has pretty good video quality that runs no higher than $250 US. I was hoping for about $200. I'll be using this thing on like vacations or trips to NYC, stuff like that. For family parties, home photos, etc., I'll be using the Fuji FinePix I currently own. I just want a small camera with good quality that I can take in my purse to school or whatever. Somewhere where the FinePix would be either too big or too expensive to bring along with me. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Sony DSC-S600: CNET Review.
There are a lot of positive reviews on the 'net about this camera. Not just on CNET too. I read some at Best Buy and one other place. So, any thoughts on this camera? You guys are probably more advanced in the ways of buying a camera than me. Every camera I've ever owned, my grandpa gave me and he was an experienced photographer. But he died about 3-4 months ago so now I'm on my own.

Thank you guys! :)

-Cait

The Lumix LZ2 with an optically stabilized 6x zoom is the best price/quality I've seen in the low end P&S segment

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I hate to advertise outside of the marketplace (and yes, I know I'm not supposed to do it), but my old Panasonic FX9 is a solid camera. Compact enough to take anywhere, 6 megapixels, image stabilization to minimize blurry pictures, 2.5" LCD on the back with good resolution, and great battery life. And the movie function is great, 640x480 video at 30 fps.

C|Net Review

For you, I might be willing to sell it for $260+shipping, it includes a 512 MB card and a slim case (which are accessories you might have to buy in addition to the camera otherwise)
Original selling thread

-OA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.