Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Ok, so yesterday my gf bought me a sigma 70-300mm dg macro for my Canon XTi. I had told her that i wanted a macro lens cause i like to shoot little things. Bugs, and such.

Imagine my surprise when i try the lens out only to find the minimum focusing distance is 3'... So i have a couple questions about this lens.

1. Is this a quality lens? It's a lot heavier than the kit lens. Are 'pro' lenses much heavier?

2. What would this lens be best for shooting?

3. What lens would i need to be able to shoot the tiny stuff?

I think that's it... Thanks in advance for your help, and remember i'm just a novice. Only in my second week at university.

macmike47

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
On the road
Hey, this isn't a pro lens I'm afraid. It'll be fine for most long-range shots, assuming there's enough light, but it's not a 'true' macro lens. If you want to shoot bugs, you'd be best off with a canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro. I've got one and it's amazing. (the real macro lenses tend to have a fixed focal length)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
1. Is this a quality lens? It's a lot heavier than the kit lens. Are 'pro' lenses much heavier?

2. What would this lens be best for shooting?

3. What lens would i need to be able to shoot the tiny stuff?

1. it's not really a quality lens. depending on whether yours is the APO version or not, it's either ok-but-not-too-good or just good, from what I gather. 'pro' lenses vary in size and weight. Canon's are labeled with an L, Sigma with EX, and Tokina with "Pro" (basically all Tokinas are built well now, though).

2. anything that needs the reach.

3. Sigma slaps "macro" on too many of its lenses - a marketing tool, basically. there are no true macro (1:1 magnification or better) zoom lenses, it just means "closer focusing." all primes with "macro" in the name, except for the Canon 50mm Compact Macro, are true macro lenses, at least to my knowledge. Sigma has a large selection, Tamron a 70mm, 90mm, and maybe a few others...Canon has a 60, 100, new 100L, and 180L. longer focal lengths = more subject separation and more working distance.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
true, all macro lenses are Prime lenses, meaning that they have a fixed focal length.

And yes, the better lenses are heavier, due to the many blades each lens has, plus faster lenses are going to be heavierdue to the larger glass, and also if it is weather sealed, that will add weight, as will an IS motor and USM, which most lenses have that now..

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I'll add, try it and see. 3' focal distance on a 70mm lens on an APS-C sensor isn't bad at all. If you like the results, move forward. Regardless, that lens is a nice tool to have in the kit.

If on the other hand you do decide to go full forward into macro photography, the lens is just the start of your expense. Think ring flashes, remote shutters, mini-tripods, just off the top of my head. Macro photography is more than just getting close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.