Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Here are a couple shots I took yesterday. Having only bought my 55-200mm VR a few weeks ago, I already feel like i need something longer for shooting birds and wildlife. I still love this lens though, especially given its price and portability. I guess I'll just have to crop my bird shots, such as the one below. I suppose this is where a 10MP camera would have a major advantage over the 6MP of my D50... Anyhow, have a look and let me know what I can do to improve. One thing I definitely need to learn is how to PP better. Would Scott Kelby's PS book be good?

733801487_544f3af3e2_b.jpg

732178451_115629c474_b.jpg

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Here are a couple shots I took yesterday. Having only bought my 55-200mm VR a few weeks ago, I already feel like i need something longer for shooting birds and wildlife. I still love this lens though, especially given its price and portability. I guess I'll just have to crop my bird shots, such as the one below. I suppose this is where a 10MP camera would have a major advantage over the 6MP of my D50... Anyhow, have a look and let me know what I can do to improve. One thing I definitely need to learn is how to PP better. Would Scott Kelby's PS book be good?

Fill flash is probably the best starting point for you at this juncture.

300mm is about the starting point for birds- the 300/4 EDIF is about as good as it gets for under $1000. You can work on getting closer, shooting from a blind or shoot from a car, any of those will help.

Also, shooting where animals and birds are used to people, such as a zoo will help some in getting some close-up shots that'll keep you motivated.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Fill flash is probably the best starting point for you at this juncture.

300mm is about the starting point for birds- the 300/4 EDIF is about as good as it gets for under $1000. You can work on getting closer, shooting from a blind or shoot from a car, any of those will help.

Also, shooting where animals and birds are used to people, such as a zoo will help some in getting some close-up shots that'll keep you motivated.

That's a good idea about the zoo. I'll have to make a trip there this summer for sure! :cool:

Fill flash is definitely something I've been meaning to trying out and learn, as this was also suggested in one of my previous posts. The problem is, I'm not really sure when fill flash should be used. Under what circumstances would fill flash benefit my shots? Or is there anything I should look for regarding the current lighting conditions that should indicate the requirement for fill flash?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That's a good idea about the zoo. I'll have to make a trip there this summer for sure! :cool:

Fill flash is definitely something I've been meaning to trying out and learn, as this was also suggested in one of my previous posts. The problem is, I'm not really sure when fill flash should be used. Under what circumstances would fill flash benefit my shots? Or is there anything I should look for regarding the current lighting conditions that should indicate the requirement for fill flash?

If the sun isn't lighting up the subject's face and you don't have catchlights in the eyes, then you need fill. There aren't many situations where it's not a benefit except for where you'll get weird eye reflections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.