Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I need a printer for my design needs (layout printing, mockup creating etc.) but i have no idea what is out there now, what new technologies have been adopted by printer manufacturers nor what printer can suit my needs best, either a laser or inkjet, A4 or A3 size... any kind of help is appreciated ;-)

thejoshhoward

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Chicago, IL
I need a printer for my design needs (layout printing, mockup creating etc.) but i have no idea what is out there now, what new technologies have been adopted by printer manufacturers nor what printer can suit my needs best, either a laser or inkjet, A4 or A3 size... any kind of help is appreciated ;-)

In my opinion, you'll want to go with something like an Epson P800 (or comparable) if you're interested in accurate color for proofing. I use the P800 with a custom profile from my primary print/production provider to pull my own match prints and it works really well for that. For mockups, I tend to print black and white on laser and cheap paper. The P800 is a bit pricey, but it's been worth it for my workflow.

If color accuracy is not of importance, you can save a lot of money by just working with a laser printer. I've personally had better luck with laser than inkjet on the lower end of the price scale.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What quality/kind of paper can you place on the Epson's paper roll?

thejoshhoward

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reactions: zoran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.