Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikolasMason

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I recently got a friend of mine (the model in this photo) interested into Dexter, and so she wanted to try taking a Dexter themed photo, so this is what we came up with:

Expertly_Executed_Emily_by_zombienm.jpg

I actually quite like it. Setting it up was really fun, like coming up with ideas for how to make a light table, wrap her in plastic wrap, etc. What do you think?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I like the idea, however, I agree with the overexposure.

I also fail to see a focus point as none of it looks sharp. I don't know if this is an effect through photoshop/aperture but it just doesn't strike me as being pin point sharp which I think a photo like this would need.

It could also be the compression from the upload but that's my opinion.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I haven't seen Dexter so I don't know what's up with the plastic wrap. I'd have cooled the colours a bit in PP... On the whole I'm not really sure what it is I'm looking at, she looks a bit too alive to be dead and too lifeless for it to be a torture scene.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I haven't seen Dexter so I don't know what's up with the plastic wrap. I'd have cooled the colours a bit in PP... On the whole I'm not really sure what it is I'm looking at, she looks a bit too alive to be dead and too lifeless for it to be a torture scene.

Also the composition drags you into the centre of the picture to start off with. There is no clear focal point (maybe if I watched Dexter I would understand) but I am not sure where my eye is mean to look.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
I like the concept, but not the execution.

First, it's lit much too harshly. Dexter doesn't do his deeds in a room that brightly lit. You should use less light and have it focused more on the face.

Second, the model's face is.... not quite scared/confused/anything. It simply doesn't work with what's about to happen to her.

And this might just be me, but I'd probably prefer to have a darker background and her facing the opposite direction (ie, head on the left).

promo shot
Dexter-plastic-wrap.jpg

what his scene's typically look like
dexter-duct-tape.jpg

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
neat idea, and good work.

i do agree that its a bit too bright though, and not quite terrified enough.

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
I also fail to see a focus point as none of it looks sharp. I don't know if this is an effect through photoshop/aperture but it just doesn't strike me as being pin point sharp which I think a photo like this would need.

It could also be the compression from the upload but that's my opinion.

yeha i thought it was just me! but i kinda failed to see any sharpness as well. i agree that a dark(er) background may also be better :)

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Cool concept. I am catching up on Dexter now--making my way through season 3--gotta love a serial killer with a family life.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Cool concept. I am catching up on Dexter now--making my way through season 3--gotta love a serial killer with a family life.

The show gets better and better each season. ;)
---
Regarding the picture, I agree it's a bit overexposed, and the facial expression is not one of a person about to get butchered. Also, if you're going to show the scalpel, you might as well show the blood slide as well. Oh, and Dexter has slight OCD (as well as myself :p), so the scalpel should be perfectly parallel to the top of the picture to reflect that. Finally, her head is slightly leaning to her left side, so the picture is not perfectly symmetrical.

Still, the concept is great, and I'd love to see how you managed to pull off the light table.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
The lighting is a bit more of his brother's MO, it seems a lot more like a refrigeration unit rather than where Dexter does his work...

Cool concept though, but she doesn't look all that scared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.