Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
123138049_0c04c8ca09.jpg

128785809_0e5ad99187.jpg

61010515_95f333da80.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
iBS23 said:
Very nice! What are you shooting?

The first 2 were taken with a Nikon D100. The last was with a Nikon Coolpix 8800. The camera doesn't really matter though...

Thanks a lot guys! :)

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I really like all of them. You should duplicate them and try adding effects to them (ie:Black & White, Septia) especially the last one I think it would look great in black and white as well as in colour.

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Abstract said:
How did you get such a nice shot when pointing the camera in the direction of the sun?? Filters or something?

No... I don't really have any filters for my Coolpix. I just took a series of shots of the sunset and this came out best. I can post the EXIF data if it matters...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Haha, no no, you don't need to post any EXIF data. It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that it's very difficult to shoot towards the sun and have it come out so nice looking, and your point and shoot did that just fine. Was just interested, that's all. ;)

Great photos though. Any editing done on the 2nd (cat) photo? The eyes really stand out.

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Abstract said:
Haha, no no, you don't need to post any EXIF data. It's not that I don't believe you. It's just that it's very difficult to shoot towards the sun and have it come out so nice looking, and your point and shoot did that just fine. Was just interested, that's all. ;)

Yes, the others do look pretty bad. This is the only that really stood out.

Abstract said:
Great photos though. Any editing done on the 2nd (cat) photo? The eyes really stand out.

Thank you. Yes, I de-saturated the 2nd photo while making it so that the cat's eye retains its color. Most people don't notice it but it does to the "effect" of the photo.

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Wow that bee sure is a willing model to pose for free!

The shot of the flower and bee is very beautiful. The colors of the bee and flower blend well with the green of the background.

The cat is framed nicely with the leaves. Also, the bokeh is a nice touch that borders the top frame to draw attention to the kitty.

A sun without a lens flare! You got that so wonderfully with a point and shoot! :eek: It is tricky to get the sun so well-defined in a photo. Was the photo cropped? Maybe you should crop the photo a bit tighter to close off the trees more.

Cheers!

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Bocheememon said:
The shot of the flower and bee is very beautiful. The colors of the bee and flower blend well with the green of the background.

Thank you. :)

The cat is framed nicely with the leaves. Also, the bokeh is a nice touch that borders the top frame to draw attention to the kitty.[/QUOTE]

Bocheememon said:
A sun without a lens flare! You got that so wonderfully with a point and shoot! :eek: It is tricky to get the sun so well-defined in a photo. Was the photo cropped? Maybe you should crop the photo a bit tighter to close off the trees more.

Nope... It wasn't modified in anyway except maybe a crop or two.

What do you think of the butterfly photos?

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
MacMosher said:
Absolutly stunning. I can't believe you were able to take so many pictures of it with out it flying away

Haha me neither! I took well over 70 shots, from every angle I could think of. I just posted these 4 cause these are my favourites.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I really like the 2nd and 4th butterfly shots. I guess the 4th shot really could have been better, but it shows you just how small that butterfly is in comparison with your hand.

Did you hand hold the camera while shooting, or was this all done using a tripod? What about the shot with the bee?

Oh, and lense(s) used for the butterfly and bee shots?

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Echoes1024 said:
Nope... It wasn't modified in anyway except maybe a crop or two.
What do you think of the butterfly photos?

Nicely composed shot for the sun then!

The butterfly shots are wonderful. I too am amazed that it didn't fly away with you being so close to it!

Echoes1024

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Abstract said:
I really like the 2nd and 4th butterfly shots. I guess the 4th shot really could have been better, but it shows you just how small that butterfly is in comparison with your hand.

I took quite a few shots with my hand, I attached 3 more. Let me know if you feel any of them is better. I also attached the uncropped version of the 2nd picture. Lemme know if you feel the crop could be better. :)

Abstract said:
Did you hand hold the camera while shooting, or was this all done using a tripod? What about the shot with the bee?

Oh, and lense(s) used for the butterfly and bee shots?

Yes, it was all handheld, didn't really have the time to go and fetch my tripod! The lens for the Bee shot was a Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8 and for the Butterfly shots, 24-85 F2.8. The 80-200 always provides an excellent background when using a large aperture for a shallow DOF.

I'm really glad you guys like my photos, it makes me feel I'm improving. :)

Btw any of you over at Flickr?

Attachments

• DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0140-Uncropped.jpg
    DSC_0140-Uncropped.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.