Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I just got a new 2016 MBP and decided it was time to switch from iPhoto to Photos, especially since a few features I liked have been brought back (the map, the ability to add or edit a location, etc.).

A few quick questions:

1. From reading, I expected the face-scanning to take a long time, but it appears my 7,700 photos were completely scanned in about 3 hours. Can this be right, or could I have run into the "Photos stopped scanning my photos" error I've read about? (In the Faces section, there's nothing about more photos remaining to be scanned. I assume it scanned for at least 3 hours, as I kept clicking on my battery icon in the menu bar — while plugged into AC — and it listed Photos Agent as using a lot of power.)

2. My iPhoto library was 10.3 GB via Get Info, while my new Photos library is only 8.4 GB. Does this sound right? I figured Photos might be more efficient in terms of thumbnails, etc., but not sure.

3. In iPhoto, I had 7,707 photos/videos and in Photos I now have ... 7,706 photos/videos. Not sure if a stray duplicate didn't copy, a corrupted file didn't copy, or what. As much as I hate to worry about one missing photo, is there an easy way to check to see which file might be missing?

Thanks for all feedback.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. That sounds about right. I also have around 7,000 and that is around what mine took.

2. It is just a difference in thumbnails.

3. No idea. There is no automated way I can think of to compare.

Reactions: jk73

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks very much. Glad to hear it re: items #1 and #2.

If anyone has any ideas re: item #3, please post. Thanks.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.