Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
I recently switched from iPhoto to Aperture but I have a few questions about how image storage works.
1)What is the Aperture vault
2)What is a reference master
3)What is your workflow in a nutshell

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Aperture.jpg

J/K. I shoot, process, & backup about 1500 - 2000+ images a week, if no one else tackles it, I'll be happy to share my workflow with you in the morning.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
J/K. I shoot, process, & backup about 1500 - 2000+ images a week, if no one else tackles it, I'll be happy to share my workflow with you in the morning.

I would also be interested to hear your workflow...

but read the tutorial :)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I recently switched from iPhoto to Aperture but I have a few questions about how image storage works.

It's always a good idea to read the User Manual ;) - supplied with the application or in the "Help" file. Canon can answer your questions so much better!, for example, this is what it says about Reference Master Files:-

"Managed and referenced images: Masters stored in the Aperture library are called
managed images because Aperture manages the location of the image files in its
database. Managed images are physically located in the Aperture Library file in the
Pictures folder. You can also import images into Aperture without storing the masters
in the library. Images that are not stored in the library are called referenced images.
Aperture links to referenced images in their current locations on your hard disk,
without placing them in the Aperture Library file."

And this is what it says about the Vault:-

"To ensure you have backup copies of your images, you create a vault to hold the
backup. A vault is a container that holds an exact copy of the library. This includes
projects, masters, and any versions you’ve created. You can easily create and update a
vault to back up the library. It’s a good idea to create multiple vaults on multiple
external hard drives to safeguard copies of the library.
You can have as many vaults as you deem necessary. Creating more than one vault is
useful if you work at different locations; you can always keep one vault on a FireWire
drive onsite and another one offsite. All vaults and backup files are tracked by the
library so that even if you disconnect the external hard drive that contains a vault,
Aperture can access it the next time you reconnect the drive and update the vault.
All the masters and versions for managed images are backed up, as well as all
metadata, previews, and adjustment information associated with managed images. The
versions, previews, metadata, and adjustment information associated with referenced
masters are also backed up in the vault. Referenced masters are not backed up in the
vault with the library.
Important: Because the masters for referenced images are stored outside of the library,
you must manage the backup and archiving of them yourself."

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
3)What is your workflow in a nutshell

1) A way to backup the llibrary. Make several of these and rotate them to an off-site location

2) Just don't do it. Not if you don't understand a LOT about how Aperture libraries work. Keep everything in the library until you can list a good reason not to AND you know all the ways you can mess up

3) Adjust, rate edit and tag in Aprture. Some get more treatment in Photoshop.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
3) Adjust, rate edit and tag in Aprture. Some get more treatment in Photoshop.

In a nutshell, that's it. As far as storage the great thing about Aperture is that little magnifying glass.
Ap.jpg
We have a 'mother library' on a Time Capsule in the studio. I can pull up my best shots from whichever Hotel/Church/Resort that the potential bride sitting next to me is having her wedding. It's very helpful in the sales aspect of a business.

As mentioned, import your images to the library & backup said library in 2 different locations. In fact concerning backup, just read this thread, I learned things about DVD-R's I had know idea about. I never bothered with iPhoto, but I'm sure you're gonna love Aperture. Oh & try to learn the keyboard shortcuts and using presets, they'll definitely expedite your workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.