Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
So, I've decided to jump into the world of DSLR after using my Canon Powershot for a bit over a year. After messiing around with most of the entry level cameras, I decided that I want the Nikon D50.

I'm thinking I shouldn't get the kit, and buy the lens seperate, but I'm not sure what I should get. I want one that will be good zoom lens for all around use, but that is still pretty fast. Sadly, my budget is around $200 (ebay or craigslist?) for the lens, however I guess I could just save for a couple more months or put it on the credit card if it is really worth it.

Secondly, what about refurbished DSLR's? It would save me about $60, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not.

Finally, what about warranties? While looking online, I noticed that some of the cameras said "USA warranty" next to them. Does that mean the warranty is from Nikon? Some others didn't mention a warranty, but listed a Mack warranty in the "suggessted accessories" section.
Is it worth it, or will I never really need it?

Sorry that ended up kind of long but I really do appreciate the input of this community.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
shieldyoureyes said:
So, I've decided to jump into the world of DSLR after using my Canon Powershot for a bit over a year. After messiing around with most of the entry level cameras, I decided that I want the Nikon D50.

I'm thinking I shouldn't get the kit, and buy the lens seperate, but I'm not sure what I should get. I want one that will be good zoom lens for all around use, but that is still pretty fast. Sadly, my budget is around $200 (ebay or craigslist?) for the lens, however I guess I could just save for a couple more months or put it on the credit card if it is really worth it.

Secondly, what about refurbished DSLR's? It would save me about $60, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not.

Finally, what about warranties? While looking online, I noticed that some of the cameras said "USA warranty" next to them. Does that mean the warranty is from Nikon? Some others didn't mention a warranty, but listed a Mack warranty in the "suggessted accessories" section.

Sorry that ended up kind of long but I really do appreciate the input of this community.

Hi!

The D50 is a great camera! Refurbished cameras are fine, but if you can get new you might want to get that. USA warranty usually means its a nikon warranty. make sure the dealer is reputable though (resellerratings etc.). Mack warranties are usually longer than Nikon warranties, and can be transferred if you sell the camera. My D2HS has a mack warranty on it.

Lenses....how fast do you want? Nikon's 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G is faster than the kit 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G and has more reach plus better build and quality. More expensive, Sigma has an 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC lens, and Tamron has a new 17-50mm f/2.8 DI II lens. Either one is great.

Remember bodies are fleeting but good glass lasts forever!
Hope this helps...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, if you can get the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 for less than $200, I'd get it.

Or go with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. It's fast and has decent range.

Oh, and if the refurb comes with a Nikon warranty, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't get it, although that's not to say that it isn't safe to buy.

A Mack warranty is acts as an international warranty, or an extended warranty (or both) where you send the lens into a Mack-approved store and repair shop, and they fix it for you. Not every repair shop is Mack approved, and you're still receiving professional service, even if it's not service offered by the manufacturer of the lens. You can be anywhere and still get it fixed. All you need to do is send it to whichever Mack approved store is closest to you and get it fixed. You can even do it if you move countries.

http://www.mackcam.com/

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
shieldyoureyes said:

I bought the 18-70 with my D50. The 18-70 is the "kit" lens for the D70. You can find these at a low price because they are sold when D70 or D200 owners upgrade. Prices used are wll under $200. I've seen $170. http://www.nikioncafe.com is a pretty save price to buy, lots of good people there. I re-furb is as good as new. Maybe better becasue a real human looked at the camera before it went in the box. The Nikon warranty is usfull if you want the camera serviced by Nikon. If you don't get it then the warranty is isued by the seller and is only as good as the seller. I'd buy non-nokin warranty only from first tier resellers that you know are above board honest. B&H is one of them. The Nikon re-furb are of course Nikon Warrantied

Do you ned a long warranty with a DSLR body? Unlike film bodies I think the DSLR will have a short usful life or about five years. Not that it will break but technology changes and you will want to upgrade

With Nikon there is a huge used lens market with the older lenses going for very low prices. If budget is an issue look into it. the nikoncafe site is a good starting place.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Abstract said:
Yeah, if you can get the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 for less than $200, I'd get it.

Or go with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8. It's fast and has decent range.

Oh, and if the refurb comes with a Nikon warranty, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't get it, although that's not to say that it isn't safe to buy.

A Mack warranty is acts as an international warranty, or an extended warranty (or both) where you send the lens into a Mack-approved store and repair shop, and they fix it for you. Not every repair shop is Mack approved, and you're still receiving professional service, even if it's not service offered by the manufacturer of the lens. You can be anywhere and still get it fixed. All you need to do is send it to whichever Mack approved store is closest to you and get it fixed. You can even do it if you move countries.

http://www.mackcam.com/
The Sigma 24-70 f2.8 is most likely out of his budget. The Sigma 17-70mm or 18-125mm are cheaper options.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
shieldyoureyes said:
Finally, what about warranties? While looking online, I noticed that some of the cameras said "USA warranty" next to them.

The reason that some sellers specify USA warranty is that they are telling you that this is the official USA warranty that will be honored by Nikon in the US. Some less-honest sellers handle "grey market" gear, and Nikon will NOT honor that because there is no USA warranty.

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
jared_kipe said:
The Sigma 24-70 f2.8 is most likely out of his budget. The Sigma 17-70mm or 18-125mm are cheaper options.

Exactly. I wish I could afford Sigma 24-70 f2.8...

In other news, I just found a refurbished D50 body on overstock.com for $469 (cheapest I've found yet). The nikon warranty is only for 90 days, but I could buy either a Mack 3 year International Warranty for $39 or a two year warrenty from overstock.com for $59.

Good deal? I doubt I would need a warranty for more than 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.