Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Hello,
I've got a few questions and I would greatly appreciate your input.
I need Ilford Galery Smooth perl photo paper, unfortunatly no stores around here carry that. Whats a good online store that ships fast and resonably priced?
Whats good settings for an outside portrait, as far as iso shutter speed and fstop.
I just got Aperture and can you recomend any books that will help me learn the program? I like learning books that don't make me feel like a robot, something interesting.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Hello,
I need Ilford Galery Smooth perl photo paper, unfortunatly no stores around here carry that. Whats a good online store that ships fast and resonably priced?
Whats good settings for an outside portrait, as far as iso shutter speed and fstop.
I just got Aperture and can you recomend any books that will help me learn the program? I like learning books that don't make me feel like a robot, something interesting.

you should tryhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/, from what i know they have just about everything

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Depends a lot on the light and the effect you want to create.

Typically you'd want to ISO to be as low as you can get it such that you can still use the shutter and f-stop you want to use.

The best thing you can do to improve the image is to take control of the light. The controls you have are (1) softness of the main light, that is how sharp the shadows edges are and (2) the ratio of main light to fill light and (3) the light direction. Everything else is way down on the list after this.
Light is cheap to control too. Just a big hunk of while poster board or an old bed sheet or simply waiting for a cloud to cover the sun, or move under a tree. or wait for the sun to move to change light direction

Pick an f-stop that gives the DOF you want and keep the shutter to ether 1/focal length or 1/60th (which ever is faster) and use a tripod.

Feel free to break any rule if you have a good reason to.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
The lowest ISO you can get away with, and a big aperture (low f number) to isolate your subject. Don't overdo it, though, or you'll get OOF parts on your subject

good advice. FWIW, if you're on a DSLR, 50mm is very flattering for portraits. Anyhow, that means you should use a shutter of 1/60. If you're only shooting one person and they're filling up the frame, f/2.8-f/5.6 should be good. ISO 100, 200, or 400 would be best, preferably 100 or 200. Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your images.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello,

It was touched upon, but fill flash is your best friend for portraits, especailly diffused light. You want to get those catchlights in the eye of your subject, but make sure that your flash output is low enough that the image doesn't look artificially lit- a Google on "dragging the shutter" will help.

Apple has videos about Aperture, I'm pretty sure one came with the package and I'm pretty sure I've seen them on their site too, have you tried them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.