Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sthursby

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So tonight there was quite the lightningstorm over the skies of Toronto and area. While the photos are somewhat marred by the fact that I was shooting through a screen, they give an idea to just how dramatic it was. Several hours of lightning and thunderstorm, with a bucket of rain to boot. It was fantastic!

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 106
  • lightning2.jpg
    lightning2.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 73
  • lightning3.jpg
    lightning3.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 62
  • lightning4.jpg
    lightning4.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 76
  • lightning5.jpg
    lightning5.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 87

Abokiniec

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
Thats really cool! How do you take photos of lightning? Everytime i want to take a photo it disappears! :(

sthursby

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Toronto, Canada
You want to set your shutter speed very slow, stop down your aperture and set it to a low ISO. A tripod is a must!

Bingo. My tripod is in storage, so I rested my camera on a pillow/ledge. I believe my settings were 4 seconds at F10, at ISO 400...which resulted in alot of black, but the lightning was so intense that it was almost blown out whenever I lucked out and did catch a bolt. I think I took about 250 photos, only got 8 with anything in them at all. All a matter of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.