Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Just a few sunset pictures I took the other night while on a walk. Looking for a few critics to give them the once over and give me some pointers for next time.

They should all be clickable:

Thanks!

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Agree; these are nice shots, but they could do with a little contrast and saturation adjustments. But I'm drawn to them as photographs, which is the most important thing.

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
They're all quite nice. If I had to offer something it would be to shorten the sky in 7 - that would likely change the focal point dramatically.

Danny.boy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2009
I have to disagree. Photos 2 and 7 are my favourite, Just goes to show how individuals vary!
And I particularly like the silhouettes of 7 although I agree it needs cropping slightly.

I really like the sky in 4 but I think the giant rock in the middle really spoils it.

What do you like about them, kreuzberg?

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I've given 7 a crop, is this any better? I've also added it as an attachment as I noticed flickr seems to dull the pictures and reduce the saturation/contrast compared to how they look in Photoshop.

I like the colours in 1, 3, 4 and 5, I also like the simple contrast in 7. Im not sure that 2 and 6 work, 2 seems a little busy and 6 a little boring.

Attachments

• Negative5-22-15(2).jpg
    Negative5-22-15(2).jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 71

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
hmm... just a question, how did you meter??... I think these images could use a little bit of foreground light.
I am all for sunset images and I think yours came out very well (except number 4. that rock is too big and too dark. it makes almost 20% of the image in the middle black), but some of the foreground subjects are quite dark and could be more interesting.

This is not a rant, just merely a suggestion. Could you take the RAW file, if you have one, and not necessarily do a pseudo HDR but merely overlay number 2 in Photoshop and give the boat a _little_ bit more brightness.

Otherwise well captured.
1 and 7 are definitely my favorite since they bring the siluettes to life. but then again different tastes as the commenters above mentioned :D

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I've just been using the stop down metering built into the camera. I've overlayed number 2 and it has made it a little brighter although I'm not sure if it works:

What d you guys think?

Any opinion on which version of 7 is better, crop or no crop?

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
1 is my favourite.
If you took the photo a few minutes before you could have got a lot more light on the grass and eliminated the need to use a HDR type thing…just an idea anyway.
Nice work though :)

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Personally, 6 is my favorite, and 2 and 7 are my least favorite.

I did some editing to 6 just to show how I would change it (hope' your okay with that):)

3687929490_30feae6f84.jpg

1. First I increased the saturation

2. Then I increased the sharpness

3. Then I increased the exposure

4. Then I changed the temperature so the photo had a "warmer" feel

5. Lastly, I cropped some of the coast out, so it didn't seem so busy

IMO, 2 seems to dark, and the boat is just to "in your face", and IMO, you need to crop in on the people in 7 more, even more then you already have. And I would also increase the exposure a little bit more, and maybe increase the saturation.

3687125627_dc40da4a83.jpg

Don

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
very nice pics!
though i cant help notice. but some sort of haze or fuzzy blur all over the pics on some of them.

EDIT:eek:h wait my bad, went on your flickr saw that they were from film. im sure the originals dont have that haze i see.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
I did some editing to 6 just to show how I would change it (hope' your okay with that):)

Thats cool, edit away.

I like what youve done with 7, although I'm still not sure on the other one, I'm just not feeling it. I'm gona try what you did with it though on a couple of other photos that I didnt think were good enough to post and see can they be rescued.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
NYC
I've given 7 a crop, is this any better? I've also added it as an attachment as I noticed flickr seems to dull the pictures and reduce the saturation/contrast compared to how they look in Photoshop.

It's not that. Photoshop displays a range of colors, not all of which can be displayed in jpeg form. Make sure when you save for web, you're exporting with an embedded color profile.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
It's not that. Photoshop displays a range of colors, not all of which can be displayed in jpeg form. Make sure when you save for web, you're exporting with an embedded color profile.

Ahhh I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember to do that from now on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.