Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Hi,

I currently use a Sony Ericsson c902. It has a 5mp camera and I really enjoy taking a lot of photos with it. Now that's it's getting a bit old/worn out and my contract has expired I'm looking at new phones. My questions are; how much of a drop off in image quality I'm I to expect if I opt for an iphone 3gs? How much functionality should I expect to loose, bearing in mind that I'm not so interested in pre-set scenes ect, more white balance and metering? These concerns have also lead me to consider the Nokia x6 which seems to have a relatively good camera in a bad body. Does anyone have any experience with, or useful knowledge of, this Nokia?

Thanks a lot in advance,

b

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
blinkie;9349583I currently use a Sony Ericsson c902. It has a 5mp camera and I really enjoy taking a lot of photos with it. Now that's it's getting a bit old/worn out and my contract has expired I'm looking at new phones. My questions are; how much of a drop off in image quality I'm I to expect if I opt for an iphone 3gs? How much functionality should I expect to loose said:
Just out of interest, why are you using a camera-phone and not an actual Digital Camera. Most phone cameras on any phone, whatever the specs are, are going to produce relatively low quality images. I prefer my PowerShot A80 from 5 years ago to any Camera Phone from today, just because the quality is that much better.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Just out of interest, why are you using a camera-phone and not an actual Digital Camera. Most phone cameras on any phone, whatever the specs are, are going to produce relatively low quality images. I prefer my PowerShot A80 from 5 years ago to any Camera Phone from today, just because the quality is that much better.

I few reasons I suppose. The phone is always in my pocket. Conceptually I'm quite interested in the idea of every-man photography, using an aesthetic commonly available to everyone but trying to imbue it with something more, some farther/deeper meaning. And I also enjoy the simple challenge of it.

I, of course, completely agree with you, chrismacguy, about the superior quality of Digital Cameras.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I few reasons I suppose. The phone is always in my pocket. Conceptually I'm quite interested in the idea of every-man photography, using an aesthetic commonly available to everyone but trying to imbue it with something more, some farther/deeper meaning. And I also enjoy the simple challenge of it.

I, of course, completely agree with you, chrismacguy, about the superior quality of Digital Cameras.

Well as far as picking a camera-phone goes, Id be tempted to try and find friends with the phones in question, or ask to take some sample photography in-store, that way youll be able to judge which you prefer - just remember that megapixels aren't everything (Ive found myself keeping my iPod Nano Video camera in my pocket constantly for similar reasons - I just wish I could get a similarly sized HD-capable one that could still play my music *is in dreamland**).

Id be interested to see some of your photos, as I tend to find "off-the-cuff" photpgraphy interesting as you tend to get images that just wouldnt be grabbed otherwise.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Well as far as picking a camera-phone goes, Id be tempted to try and find friends with the phones in question, or ask to take some sample photography in-store, that way youll be able to judge which you prefer - just remember that megapixels aren't everything (Ive found myself keeping my iPod Nano Video camera in my pocket constantly for similar reasons - I just wish I could get a similarly sized HD-capable one that could still play my music *is in dreamland**).

Id be interested to see some of your photos, as I tend to find "off-the-cuff" photpgraphy interesting as you tend to get images that just wouldnt be grabbed otherwise.

Well I've had a go with a friends 3GS and it really is worse (for photography) than my c902. And I've been reading some terrible reviews of the X6. So I think a new direction is in order and as it's the music playing function of my c902 that's broken and nothing more, I'm going to get an ipod and wait it out 'till something better comes along.

As far a my photos go, chrismacguy, I'm considering a website, I'll let you know the address when/if that happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.