Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsknike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
I have Aperture and was wondering if there is a way where I can show only the colors in the eyes and have the rest black and white? Yes I know this is cliche but I don't really care. Thanks for any help.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
photoshop technique too?

is there a way you can do this is photoshop too? i been thinking about some shots for a while now, but haven't gotten round to it

i guess the same technique can be done for any part of the photo - ie, not just the eyes?

nsknike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah you can do it in Photoshop, I have photoshop for Windows but not my Mac, and I don't want to go through the hassle, you can just select the eyes and then turn the saturation down throughout the rest of the picture in photoshop, I just don't know how to do this in Aperture yet (bought it today).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
nsknike said:
I have Aperture and was wondering if there is a way where I can show only the colors in the eyes and have the rest black and white? Yes I know this is cliche but I don't really care. Thanks for any help.

No, you will need an "image editor" like Adobe's "Photoshop" or "Elements" or Gimp.. (Note the gimp is free at http://www.gimp.org) In all of these programs what you want to do is very easy, a two minute job.

Aperture is for making simple adjustments to the entire image and offers no way to make adjustments to parts of an image because it lacks selection tools, layers and masks. All image editors have these tools. As soon as you want to treat one part of an image different from some other part you need an image editor.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
nsknike said:
Yeah you can do it in Photoshop, I have photoshop for Windows but not my Mac, and I don't want to go through the hassle, you can just select the eyes and then turn the saturation down throughout the rest of the picture in photoshop, I just don't know how to do this in Aperture yet (bought it today).

Adobe will let you transfer the license from your Windows PC to your Mac for a nominal fee. It is worth it because PS integrates so well with Aperture

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.