Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I built my smart home around Apple’s ecosystem ensuring HomeKit compatibility whenever I added a new smart home device. All the lights in my home are Philips Hue with a few decorative Nanoleaf lights. I’ve got Eve power outlets turning on my kitchen greenhouse and powering off my TV at night, Eve Aqua waters my garden and Eve sensors monitor doors and windows and apply scenes according to their status. I have August locks, a Honeywell thermostat and a couple of legacy Nest products that I got before HomeKit that I’ll replace eventually (Nest Protect and NestCams).

I control everything by voice with a HomePod or if I’m out of voice reach or don’t want to talk, I’ll use my AppleWatch or an iPad that I’ve mounted on a wall. i’ve wanted to add Siri to other places in my home but HomePod seems like overkill for small rooms like a bathroom or smaller bedrooms. I’ve been waiting for Apple to update Beats speakers like BeatsPill with Siri support to use those for smaller rooms.

Then Amazon came out with the Echo Show. First, I got a small one mostly out of curiosity and to experiment with and used it as my alarm clock. I loved it so much that I got an Echo Show 8 for the kitchen. It made sense. I do almost all of my shopping on Amazon and I love that these have a screen. They’re also terribly inexpensive.

The good news is that all of my HomeKit products also have Alexa support. Better news is that Siri and Alexa get along perfectly. If I turn something on with Siri, Alexa will reflect the change. If I run an Alexa routine, Siri will update the status of those devices. I can’t remember them ever conflicting. Echo Show also supports Apple Music now and it knows my Playlists and even allows me to like or dislike a song.

The bad news: Alexa is painfully stupid. For all the bad rep Siri gets, Alexa somehow gets away with being dumb despite being the best selling smart assistant. You have to ask Alexa to do things in a very very specific way. Otherwise it doesn’t know what to do. Siri on the other hand understands natural language and you can ask things in all sorts of ways, it infers what you mean and executes the command. Alexa Skills are not all they’re hyped up to be. Most of them, and by most, I mean almost all of them, suck. They’re either pointless games or gimmicks you’ll get tired of within a minute or if they’re supposedly useful, they’re hard to use.

In reality, the only thing Siri is behind on is adoption. That really comes down to price. What App,e could is help convert people’s iPads into Siri devices. Apple should add a feature in iPad OS that enables iPads to act as Siri screens with a simplified UI, kind of like CarPlay for the home.

Meanwhile, I’m hopeful that Alexa improves and adds AirPlay 2 support. I’d love to see further cooperation between Apple and Amazon. They’re largely complementry rather than rivals. Like Google before they entered the smartphone space.

Anybody using mixed Alexa + Siri in their homes?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
sonos speakers support both airplay2 and Alexa (or google, each speaker can only do one assistant at a time though)

siri is much better for home stuff. but I've had much better luck with Alexa/google for things like when stores open, or general info.

for things like your TV, and other non-native homekit devices, look at homebridge,
it's a program that makes non-homekit things work with homekit.
there are plugins for a lot of things. (smart TVs, webcams, to name a couple)
It's not too complicated, but you definitely need to be fairly tech savvy to get it working.
there are pre-made installs that make it a bit easier, like hoobs.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
sonos speakers support both airplay2 and Alexa (or google, each speaker can only do one assistant at a time though)

siri is much better for home stuff. but I've had much better luck with Alexa/google for things like when stores open, or general info.

for things like your TV, and other non-native homekit devices, look at homebridge,
it's a program that makes non-homekit things work with homekit.
there are plugins for a lot of things. (smart TVs, webcams, to name a couple)
It's not too complicated, but you definitely need to be fairly tech savvy to get it working.
there are pre-made installs that make it a bit easier, like hoobs.

Years ago, I set up Homebridge on my iMac which is always on and it never quite worked properly, probably because the Mac went to sleep. I would've totally bought a physical Homebridge Hub that is plug and play without all the techie stuff. Not worth it now since 99% of my smart home stuff is HomeKit compatible now and Apple, Amazon and Google are working on an interoperable standard.

I'd love it if Apple released something like Echo Flex. Just plug them in around the house and you have Siri anywhere. Putting a HomePod everywhere is overkill, specially for its price.

61fF3xhBgjL._SL1000_.jpg

That said, the reason I love the Echo Show is because of the screen. It works perfectly in my bedroom as an alarm clock that can show me details like the weather and my day's appointments and in the kitchen for viewing recipes and playing the news while I cook. It's also nice to see album art while music is playing.

It'd be so great to see further cooperation between Amazon and Apple on this. Adding AirPlay 2 would be the clear next step. Allowing Echo Show to integrate with Apple Music elsewhere in the house so that it shows your Now Playing album art and music controls even if you're playing music on a HomePod or AppleTV.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Prompted by writing this thread, I had a look around and found a HomePod on sale for US$190 and ordered one for my bedroom. Ohhh my neighbours are not going to be happy. 😳

Now I'll have 2 HomePods (living room + bedroom) and 2 Echo Shows (kitchen + bedroom). Hopefully Apple and Amazon will continue their collaboration and get Siri and Alexa to work better together.

Otherwise, I guess I'm restoring the balance in my home with Siri taking prominence again. Having used both Alexa and Siri daily, I can say without equivocation that Siri is substantially smarter and far more reliable in controlling all of my smart home devices than Alexa.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Prompted by writing this thread, I had a look around and found a HomePod on sale for US$190 and ordered one for my bedroom. Ohhh my neighbours are not going to be happy.

Now I'll have 2 HomePods (living room + bedroom) and 2 Echo Shows (kitchen + bedroom). Hopefully Apple and Amazon will continue their collaboration and get Siri and Alexa to work better together.

Otherwise, I guess I'm restoring the balance in my home with Siri taking prominence again. Having used both Alexa and Siri daily, I can say without equivocation that Siri is substantially smarter and far more reliable in controlling all of my smart home devices than Alexa.

You keep mentioning how they collaborate. They don’t. The individual devices are what is made to work with both system. Alexa and Siri do not talk to each other or help each other out at all.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You keep mentioning how they collaborate. They don’t. The individual devices are what is made to work with both system. Alexa and Siri do not talk to each other or help each other out at all.

Apple and Amazon are collaborating, not the hardware with each other. Apple Music is on Echo devices now and it works seamlessly with liking songs, adding songs to your library and to playlists, etc. Apple and Amazon struck a deal with Apple products sold on Amazon and Amazon Prime Video on AppleTV which wasn't the case before this deal.

The two companies are realizing that they're not each other's competition and that they are in fact complimentary to one another, like Google was before they started competing directly with Apple with Android. Google's CEO was even on Apple's board.

I'd like to see these companies further work together to integrate each other's products into a unified home. Adding AirPlay 2 to Echo Show devices would be an obvious next move, specially since all sorts of third parties are adding AirPlay 2 to non Apple speakers and TVs. Up from that, it would nice if Echo Show displayed album artwork whenever you're playing Apple Music, even if you're playing it on a different speaker.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Apple and Amazon are collaborating, not the hardware with each other. Apple Music is on Echo devices now and it works seamlessly with liking songs, adding songs to your library and to playlists, etc. Apple and Amazon struck a deal with Apple products sold on Amazon and Amazon Prime Video on AppleTV which wasn't the case before this deal.

The two companies are realizing that they're not each other's competition and that they are in fact complimentary to one another, like Google was before they started competing directly with Apple with Android. Google's CEO was even on Apple's board.

I'd like to see these companies further work together to integrate each other's products into a unified home. Adding AirPlay 2 to Echo Show devices would be an obvious next move, specially since all sorts of third parties are adding AirPlay 2 to non Apple speakers and TVs. Up from that, it would nice if Echo Show displayed album artwork whenever you're playing Apple Music, even if you're playing it on a different speaker.

First... the way I understood you saying they collaborate was in regards to smart lights etc working on both Apple HomeKit and echo devices. They do not collaborate there so that’s why I was pointing that out.

They aren’t really colaberate by on anything imho even with what you mention. They have agreed to allow each other to build apps for each others devices so that each companies services are offered on each others devices. That’s not collaborating in my book.

Collaborate means working together to make something happen.

I do not expect us to see airplay 2 show up on echos and frankly I don’t see that as a logical next step. That could hurt sales of Apple products. Allowing service on other devices is one thing. But integration with hardware is a totally different world.

Apple has done that with TVs and such because TVs are not smart home hubs as of yet in general.

With that said...

All the big players have agreed to try and work on a uniform standard for home smart devices though, presumably so they are both secure and manufacturers won’t have to write three or more separate code bases to make their devices work with Apple, google, amazon, etc smart speakers and so forth.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I have a mixed Google and Apple home setup. I have Google Nest Hub Max in my living room and kitchen, Google Nest Hub in my bedroom, and Google Home's in every other room with a Google Home Mini in my sons room (with the base that makes it look like Mickey Mouse). All my lights work with both Google and HomeKit (actually Alexa as well).

Tomorrow I'm mounting an iPad on the wall as a HomeKit main interface. I use the Google Assistant for any information/questions I may need/have (because honestly it's leaps and bounds over the other two for that). I also use "Hey Google" for most of my voice commands for two reasons 1) I have them in every room (except bathrooms) 2) the far-field microphones in the Google hardware picks up my voice even if I'm not near one without yelling. I use HomeKit to setup automation's.

I have a mix of cameras, Nest Cam IQ's and Logitech Circle 2's. They will both stream on my Google Nest Hub Max and Google Nest Hub but currently only the Circle 2's work with HomeKit. I have the Starling Home Hub being delivered next week which will allow my Nest Cams working with HomeKit.

I have Nvidia Shields on three TV's that the Google Assistant can turn on by voice command and through CEC turns the TV on. Currently Siri can't do anything with them but I'm going to upgrade the TV's one at a time for ones that work with HomeKit so that way I can ask Siri to turn on the TV and through CEC the Shield will come on as well.

It's getting much easier to find smart home products that work with all three assistants. Hopefully what I have been hearing about Google, Apple, and Amazon working together to make all smart accessories work across all platforms is true and happens sooner than later.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
We have a mixed Echo and HomePod home. Honestly, I don't notice much difference overall in terms of voice control and response. Echo devices are mostly cheaper and obviously have more varied hardware. HomePod has better audio. Oh - yeah, there is this: I trust Apple almost infinitely more than I trust Amazon when it comes to privacy issues. We have disconnected several Echo Dots for that reason.

Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.