Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Recently moved into a new place with my partner and while I'm a :apple: addict she'd rather I don't infest the vibe of the whole house with tech. We like to play Minecraft together on our own server and I like hosting other simple servers from home. I was using a 2007 Mac Mini but the 3GB Ram limit was pushing things for modern Minecraft! Got a 2010 model 2nd hand for around €70 then through in 8GB Ram and an SSD Dirt cheap. High Sierra is just fine, runs modern Java, hosts a website, file sharing etc. The size and low power usage of these things really makes them awesome home server for Mac heads.

We have Gigabit Fibre internet so I wanted to make use of that fully with a gigabit ethernet connection. The house has no Cat5 wiring or anything (I use power line adapters for my Mac Pro but they take a considerable hit) so ideally it was best suited in the hallway beside the router.

Luckily it fits perfectly snug in the white shelf unit just inside the door! With the wiring almost entirely hidden, it could pass for a tasteful bit of decoration at a push despite being a 10 year old desktop. Really happy with how it turned out. Unlike most servers being hidden away it's now the first computer a visitor is likely to spot here.

IMG_5847.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.