Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
There is a command line utility I'd like to run on my Mac that requires .Net installed.

I haven't had Microsoft software on my Macs in, literally, 20 years, ever since a bad Office install screwed up one of my machines back in the day. So I am a little wary of installing .Net!

Is there any risk in installing .Net? Anything I should be aware of? Is it going to slurp down all my RAM or run gross background processes that slow my Mac to a crawl?

I realize this may be a silly question, but hey -- what are forums for if not silly questions???

Thanks!

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009

garethsuarez

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
fortunately, .net Core is open source, and driven by a cross platform group, so the Mac install runs pretty much like a linux install, which is to say, it doesn't do a bunch of weird "microsoft things" to your computer (I've been developing using microsoft tools for 25+ years, and I will freely admit they sometimes do some strange things. But as my main workstation is either linux or mac these days, the .net core libraries are very nice and stay out of your way when you aren't using them)

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
fortunately, .net Core is open source, and driven by a cross platform group, so the Mac install runs pretty much like a linux install, which is to say, it doesn't do a bunch of weird "microsoft things" to your computer (I've been developing using microsoft tools for 25+ years, and I will freely admit they sometimes do some strange things. But as my main workstation is either linux or mac these days, the .net core libraries are very nice and stay out of your way when you aren't using them)
Thank you! "Weird Microsoft things" is precisely what I feared!

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
macOS doesn't allow apps to run in kernel space; everything has to be run in user space. This means its a lot harder for errant applications to screw up someone's machine.

Reactions: kirbyrun

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I can also vouch that .NET has really been optimized over the years to run like a lean, mean, runtime machine. Easy to run different versions on the same machine for example, and doesn't pollute the file system or kernel. Rest easy.

Reactions: kirbyrun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.