Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ofirsheiner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Hello, my name is Ofir sheiner, I live in Israel and work as a law intern.

I would like to share with you a very frustrating case that I have recently undergone. I'm an avid fan of Apple, I've bought your various devices all my life and I've been very pleased.

BUT, About two months ago I've purchased the new iPhone X,

I was so excited about it that I was willing to pay for it my whole month's salary! However, my luck was not with me and after the iPhone was close to the Jacuzzi (not in the water although it should be durable !!) and water entered the cameras.

On the verge of crying, I called the shop where I purchased the device (Ivory), who told me that there was no warranty for water damage, and that if I sent it for repair it would take up to 48 hours !! (Which can cause more serious damage with the water).

So I decided to take it to a phone lab. The guy opened the iPhone and discovered a good deal of water in it! He cleaned all the water and said it was very illogical that a device that was supposed to be durable would react like this to water. After he closed the iPhone, the device was left with two lines the middle (green and pink).

Now we are trying to think about how to deal with the new problem, all of this when I do not know what the future state of the device !!!

I've purchased such an expensive device, which is supposed to be the best technology, and now I am supposed to expect a miracle that will make it survive.

Any suggestions????

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Make a claim on your home contents insurance. Take this as a lesson to take out phone insurance next time you buy a phone that equals your monthly salary. Because they are big and we take them literally everywhere, they are at risk of getting damaged.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It sounds like your iPhone was a bit "closer" to the Jacuzzi than you thought. I do not see how it just got splashed and have water inside of it. No matter what the water rating, I would never let it get wet.

I hope Apple will fix for you but I doubt it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Ofirsheiner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Make a claim on your home contents insurance. Take this as a lesson to take out phone insurance next time you buy a phone that equals your monthly salary. Because they are big and we take them literally everywhere, they are at risk of getting damaged.
did have, doesnt cover water damage
[doublepost=1523356580][/doublepost]
It sounds like your iPhone was a bit "closer" to the Jacuzzi than you thought. I do not see how it just got splashed and have water inside of it. No matter what the water rating, I would never let it get wet.

I hope Apple will fix for you but I doubt it.
my iphone 6 was closer to water than this.......

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
did have, doesnt cover water damage

That's a shame.

If you are lucky. The lines will vanish as water drains out. submerge it in a bowl of dry rice a few hours of the day to help it recover.

Worth noting, is that while some phones are splash proof, Jacuzzis with water(+chlorine) bubbling at at 38-40 degrees Celsius is much more damaging than rain drops. The warm water can break down seals and create warm condensation inside.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Any suggestions????[/QUOTE]
Did you purchase with a CC that offers 90 day purchase protection by any chance?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
That's a shame.

If you are lucky. The lines will vanish as water drains out. submerge it in a bowl of dry rice a few hours of the day to help it recover.

Worth noting, is that while some phones are splash proof, Jacuzzis with water(+chlorine) bubbling at at 38-40 degrees Celsius is much more damaging than rain drops. The warm water can break down seals and create warm condensation inside.

Between the potential for rice dust to get inside a phone, water creating starches inside the device as it bonds with some of the rice particulates and rice being a particularly poor way to dry out a phone (given that liquid is now inside the device and the ride suits on the outside), I'd not personally recommend this method to anyone. Any short term success could well be offset by mid term failure.

Reactions: iapplelove

Ofirsheiner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Between the potential for rice dust to get inside a phone, water creating starches inside the device as it bonds with some of the rice particulates and rice being a particularly poor way to dry out a phone (given that liquid is now inside the device and the ride suits on the outside), I'd not personally recommend this method to anyone. Any short term success could well be offset by mid term failure.
thanks. the lab took of all the water, now i have the two lines on the screen..
[doublepost=1523365974][/doublepost]
Any suggestions????
Did you purchase with a CC that offers 90 day purchase protection by any chance?[/QUOTE]
no :(
[doublepost=1523366031][/doublepost]
Also maybe home owners insurance or renters insurance?
no...:(

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl

I would like to share with you a very frustrating case that I have recently undergone. I'm an avid fan of Apple, I've bought your various devices all my life and I've been very pleased.

I was so excited about it that I was willing to pay for it my whole month's salary! However, my luck was not with me and after the iPhone was close to the Jacuzzi (not in the water although it should be durable !!) and water entered the cameras.

On the verge of crying, I called the shop where I purchased the device (Ivory), who told me that there was no warranty for water damage, and that if I sent it for repair it would take up to 48 hours !! (Which can cause more serious damage with the water).

So I decided to take it to a phone lab. The guy opened the iPhone and discovered a good deal of water in it! He cleaned all the water and said it was very illogical that a device that was supposed to be durable would react like this to water. After he closed the iPhone, the device was left with two lines the middle (green and pink).

Now we are trying to think about how to deal with the new problem, all of this when I do not know what the future state of the device !!!

I've purchased such an expensive device, which is supposed to be the best technology, and now I am supposed to expect a miracle that will make it survive.

Any suggestions????
Iphone x is not waterproof, it never was to begin with . It states this very clearly. Apple also never stated its the best technology. That statement is a conclusion you arrived to on your own. You should have done your homework when buying this device.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Any suggestions????
Have you tried contacting Apple directly to see if there’s anything they can do?

Also, while the iPhone X has water resistance, it’s more for accidental spills. I wouldn’t suggest taking it near water as Apple doesn’t guarantee nor provide a warranty in the event the water resistance fails as it sounds like what happened to you.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You may have luck with a screen replacement but, it will be expensive. The problem with water damage is you never know if more issues will appear as the phone ages. Sounds like you’ve done everything you can to save the phone, it might just not be enough

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Iphone x is not waterproof, it never was to begin with . It states this very clearly. Apple also never stated its the best technology. That statement is a conclusion you arrived to on your own. You should have done your homework when buying this device.

Your Post is a bit brash, but I agree with what you’re saying. Many seem to misconstrue that the iPhone X is waterproof, when in fact it is not, it’s water resistant, which is not a guaranteed to survive water submersion or being subjected to water, seam, ect, It’s merely a rating against water. Anytime someone takes an electronic device near water, regardless if it’s water resistant or not, it’s a complete risk. The best option is not having your iPhone near water at all in my opinion.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Rice drying is a myth. Don't waste your time.

Take your device to a proper iPhone repair shop so they can use PCB cleaner and bathe the logic board in an ultrasonic bath. A proper lab will be able to replace individual components. The longer you wait the higher chance of corrosion.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
Your Post is a bit brash, but I agree with what you’re saying. Many seem to misconstrue that the iPhone X is waterproof, when in fact it is not, it’s water resistant, which is not a guaranteed to survive water submersion or being subjected to water, seam, ect, It’s merely a rating against water. Anytime someone takes an electronic device near water, regardless if it’s water resistant or not, it’s a complete risk. The best option is not having your iPhone near water at all in my opinion.
Yes it ss harsh, but sometimes a tough lesson is necessary. now in the future im sure the OP will do their due diligence, for large purchases.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I think I would have noticed if it was inside. Thanks for your help but I'm looking for real help.
People are trying to give you good advice. It may not be what you want to hear, but it’s about as real and honest as any help you’ll find. If there was a simple fix, the folks on this forum would know about it and readily offer that solution.

Contact Apple directly if you can and be honest about your situation. They may not help, but you never know until you try.

Sorry about your luck-hopefully you can find some kind of resolution.

Oh, and the rice method is not something I’d recommend. It isn’t known to work and may just introduce more particulate junk into your phone. People will claim success with this method, but my *opinion* is that it’s merely a placebo effect. Your phone will dry out on it’s own without putting in a bag of dirty rice.

JEMYHAL

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2018
Hi Ofer

Ma kore ;) ()

Sorry to the be the one who tell the bad news, but your case is hopeless.
Happened to me something very similar, just went and bought new one .

BUT !!
This time I invested in otter box defender case and quality screen protector, although it made it bulky at least now am more protected (not sure ;) )

For any help PM me

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
With the IP67 rating that phone should be able to get splashed with water with no issues whatsoever. The issue is even with the Water RESISTANT rating manufacturers still wont cover the device for water damage as its not water PROOF. That being said i know from experience that Samsung phones at least live up to the IP68 rating, I've submerged my last 3 galaxy phones regularly and never had an issue. Its a pity Apple does not have the same QC standards in this regard.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Rice drying is a myth. Don't waste your time.

Take your device to a proper iPhone repair shop so they can use PCB cleaner and bathe the logic board in an ultrasonic bath. A proper lab will be able to replace individual components. The longer you wait the higher chance of corrosion.

I personally never tested rice being a viable method, but I can’t say silica packets typically what you would find in shoeboxes are adequate because they will absorb moisture. But you need a larger quantity of them, usually what you can find online in larger packets.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think Apple will replace yours with another one for just under a half a month of your salary since it’s accidental damage. And on top of it, has been opened by an unauthorized Apple repair shop/lab (assuming it’s not an authorized repair shop/lab)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'm sorry about your loss. I took pictures with my iPhone7+ while going under Iguazu falls with no problem, so something is going on if water came out of the unit.

If the unit you purchased had no water damage, and no water was in it before being next to the jacuzzi, I'm wondering if maybe when you weren't looking some might have accidentaly dropped it in water. The only other thing I can think of is a camera analogy. In the tropics when you take your camera from a cold, air conditioned hotel room to the hot, humid outdoors you can get condensation in the camera or in the lens. I've had that happen, and it quite nerve wracking when you see it. You pray it will go away. So a jacuzzi environment might be very humid, and if the phone was very cold ... Not likely since phones have water resistance ratings while cameras don't, and you wouldn't get water pouring from the unit unless it never came up to temperature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.