Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I have a new installation of MacOS X 10.5 on my iMac G4. I've since applied all of the several updates.
I use a USB Bluetooth dongle. And I have a wireless mouse connected to it. I was able to use this mouse with no problems before the new installation.

After a new installation, I had a problem with the mouse connection. If I cold start or reboot my iMac with the mouse on, I can't get the mouse to establish a connection. I can establish a connection with no problem if I turn on the mouse after the Mac boots up.
When I boot/restart my iMac with the mouse on, I move the mouse to Bluetooth settings and it becomes a rainbow cursor. I can't connect the mouse after hours of waiting.
When I'm having problems, I unplug and reinsert the USB dongle. Then I unpair the mouse. Then I pair the mouse again and I can use the mouse without any problems. I have multiple USB dongles and they all behaved the same no matter which one I used. Same with different mouses.

I've done multiple clean installations of the OS. But it does not improve at all. I was able to use the mouse with no problems before I re-installed the OS.

What is the cause?

---
MacOS X 10.5.8, iMac G4

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Did you move the dongle to another USB port? If so, I would try moving it back to the original location.

I said that because I have a PS/2 to USB adapter that will not work with port #2 and #4 of my Mac mini while port #1 and #3 are OK. Those ports that work may be higher up on the USB tree.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I changed where I plugged the USB dongle in. I also intentionally connected it through a USB hub. It all behaves the same. I'm also trying PRAM Clear.

I installed the OS from a MacOS X 10.5 installation disk and then applied the 10.5.8 combo update.
I've heard MacOS X10.5(.0) has a lot of problems.
Does it make a difference if I install from a 10.5.1 or 10.5.4 installation disk instead of a 10.5 installation disk?

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I've heard of some stopping at 10.5.6 to fix such issues, but there are many different dongles out there also. Trial and error is the only way to sort out such things. Your best bet is Bluetooth 2.1 with Leopard.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I switched to USB Bluetooth 2.0(CSR chip) and that solved the problem.
Previously, it was Bluetooth 4.0. It is a mystery that it was able to work with this without problems before the OS clean installation.

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
I switched to USB Bluetooth 2.0(CSR chip) and that solved the problem.
Previously, it was Bluetooth 4.0. It is a mystery that it was able to work with this without problems before the OS clean installation.
I’m in precisely the same situation - Bluetooth worked flawlessly on my iMac G4 with Tiger. I’ve newly installed leopard, and every time I shutdown/restart, the mouse & keyboard fail to reconnect.

I’ve ordered a Bluetooth 2.0 dongle to try and solve the problem - but I’m flummoxed as to why it worked perfectly previously in Tiger. Have you had any revelations since your last post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.