Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Hello,

Does the quad version boot 64bit? Is this better for CS4?

Is 8gb ram enough for CS4? Is display yellow problem fixed and good for editing?

Any problems I should know about before I get my wife one to upgrade her 2.4ghz 24" imac??

Thank you

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Does the quad version boot 64bit? Is this better for CS4?
OSX will boot 64 but I cant answer about CS4.....I'm still on CS3.

Is 8gb ram enough for CS4? Is display yellow problem fixed and good for editing?
I would assume 8GB would be plenty but your mileage may vary. The yellow tinge is still a real issue for some, me included. I ended up returning three early i7's for yellow screens. I gave up and will just continue to use my laptop with an external 22" monitor.

Any problems I should know about before I get my wife one to upgrade her 2.4ghz 24" imac??

Just yellow tinge. Otherwise its a perfect machine.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple's iMac are a complete waste of your time and I wouldn't even bother with it. The nerve they have to ask what the want for outdated technolgy (Core 2 Duo's when everyone else is using the latest iX chips) really gets to me and I will no longer recommend Apple computers to anyone. i3, i5, i7 models should be overed across the board in addition to respectable hard drive capacities. Right now the iMac/Macbook Pro offerings are a joke. Please do not pay that much for outdated tech.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Apple's iMac are a complete waste of your time and I wouldn't even bother with it. The nerve they have to ask what the want for outdated technolgy (Core 2 Duo's when everyone else is using the latest iX chips) really gets to me and I will no longer recommend Apple computers to anyone. i3, i5, i7 models should be overed across the board in addition to respectable hard drive capacities. Right now the iMac/Macbook Pro offerings are a joke. Please do not pay that much for outdated tech.

Did Apple steal your kids or something?
The 27" iMacs offer i5 and i7 CPUs, with 1TB as standard and options to 2TB for hard disks. Last time I checked that was as big as HDs went...

The reason i3 iMacs aren't offered is because they don't offer anything over a high clock speed C2D at the moment. i3 is the cheapest of the cheap Intel CPUs, and really doesn't belong in a high end computer anyway.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I just bought a 27" iMac a month ago, i7. It boots 32-bit mode and runs 64-bit applications. If you want to boot into 64-bit mode you hold down the "6" and "4" keys together at boot. But beware CS4 is 32-bit only on Mac OS X so it won't run in 64-bit mode. So, 8 gb of ram won't make any difference since it can't address more than 4. If you want 64-bit you need to go to CS5. My display has no yellow tinge, works perfectly. I hate the mouse, but that's easily corrected.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Did Apple steal your kids or something?
The 27" iMacs offer i5 and i7 CPUs, with 1TB as standard and options to 2TB for hard disks. Last time I checked that was as big as HDs went...

The reason i3 iMacs aren't offered is because they don't offer anything over a high clock speed C2D at the moment. i3 is the cheapest of the cheap Intel CPUs, and really doesn't belong in a high end computer anyway.

and the prices for the respective are ridiculous for the iX's. Insane.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
and the prices for the respective are ridiculous for the iX's. Insane.

How? The screen in the 27" iMac is worth around £1k, based on Dell's pricing for their 27" (which is CCFL not LED), leaving around £600 for the actual computer components. Getting the i5 for £600, including 4GB RAM etc. is a good buy.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
How? The screen in the 27" iMac is worth around £1k, based on Dell's pricing for their 27" (which is CCFL not LED), leaving around £600 for the actual computer components. Getting the i5 for £600, including 4GB RAM etc. is a good buy.

In the US, I configured an i5 27 inch with 8GB's of RAM for $2200. I'm all for Mac, but yikes. Besides, I don't need 27 inches. 21.5 inches suits me just fine, but unfortunately, those don't offer the iX CPU's. The iX model of the iMac's starts at $1999. Weak.

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010

are you frigin serious? shut up pc fanboy. IMACS are not outdate. for the price your getting it ftw the hp touch, dells sony. c2ds at desktop proceesros while the other are still on mobiltiy, the 320m with 1gb, only a 5400rpm hd 640gb. only hp is using i7s MOBILITY while apple is using quad core desktop proceessors. the macbook pro is not a joke. pcs are they suck, they run winblow theyre a waste of my f$##@! time and theyre slow lagy and winblows doesent have multicore support. well does dell give you a 1tb hdd as standard? come on winblows fanboy, admit it. apple may take more money from us but we are paying for the expereince, the best build quality, fair trade, clean toxin free products, a safe os. while winblows is vunerable to 8 out of 10 viruses, has no multicore support, sells "service packs", and only is based on raw specs but sinblows doesent know what do to with it. if you are comapring the imac as an all in one form factor to an alienware tower you are ***** wrong. some apple mactard compare the imac i7 to the bottomline alinenware and it was a tower vs an all in one! and the imac had lsightly lower specs but for less. dell is not using ix chips, hp is using mobility one. the i7 860 is a desktop processor. just go f of and stop b\using winblows i would rather use linux because it rules but not as much as MAC OS X RULE THE WORLD

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
are you frigin serious? shut up pc fanboy. IMACS are not outdate. for the price your getting it ftw the hp touch, dells sony. c2ds at desktop proceesros while the other are still on mobiltiy, the 320m with 1gb, only a 5400rpm hd 640gb. only hp is using i7s MOBILITY while apple is using quad core desktop proceessors. the macbook pro is not a joke. pcs are they suck, they run winblow theyre a waste of my f$##@! time and theyre slow lagy and winblows doesent have multicore support. well does dell give you a 1tb hdd as standard? come on winblows fanboy, admit it. apple may take more money from us but we are paying for the expereince, the best build quality, fair trade, clean toxin free products, a safe os. while winblows is vunerable to 8 out of 10 viruses, has no multicore support, sells "service packs", and only is based on raw specs but sinblows doesent know what do to with it. if you are comapring the imac as an all in one form factor to an alienware tower you are ***** wrong. some apple mactard compare the imac i7 to the bottomline alinenware and it was a tower vs an all in one! and the imac had lsightly lower specs but for less. dell is not using ix chips, hp is using mobility one. the i7 860 is a desktop processor. just go f of and stop b\using winblows i would rather use linux because it rules but not as much as MAC OS X RULE THE WORLD

Wow. Just wow.

First of all, my Main PC is hand built with parts picked by me and put together by me. Why? Because I didn't like any of the offerings by Apple or any of the "PC" makers.

2nd of all, I own and use a 2008 Macbook Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, 2007 White Macbook, several iPod models, a 3rd Gen iPod Touch and soon to be iPad.

Sigh...

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
In the US, I configured an i5 27 inch with 8GB's of RAM for $2200. I'm all for Mac, but yikes. Besides, I don't need 27 inches. 21.5 inches suits me just fine, but unfortunately, those don't offer the iX CPU's. The iX model of the iMac's starts at $1999. Weak.

As I said, a huge chunk of that $2200 is the 27" 2560x1440 screen. You're paying a wad of cash for that size of display - the other components of the build actually come out as competitive. Well, bar the RAM, as Apple always rip off on RAM - buy third party!

If you don't want 27", fine. However you can't then bitch out Apple for "not being competitive" when you rule out a machine on personal preference, and proceed to complain about the CPU in the 21.5". The 21.5" can't support the hotter i5/i7 desktop CPUs used in the 27" due to thermal constraints, and the i3 is weak in comparison to the 3.06 and 3.33Ghz desktop C2Ds offered by Apple right now...

Look at every other all-in-one on the market. They use C2Ds, usually at a slower clock and mobile versions, or they use mobile i5/7 CPUs that are arguably no better than the C2Ds.

Apple probably will offer i3 or i5 for the 21.5" models in the future, but Intel need to come up with the silicon that fits Apple's needs first.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My week 15 (Early April 2010 BTO) 27" i7 2TB HD 8GB RAM iMac suits me fine, has a tinge of yellow tint that I waited past the 14 day no ask return policy, so I still have it.

Overall I'm very pleased with it, plus saved almost $200 by the wife's education discount.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Hey! I only asked

Obviously I am a Mac user with no intension of going back to the dark side of being an IT trainee before creating anything of worth. So that aside.

Thank you for the user comments.

Still a bit concerned about the 'yellow' factor.

Anyone with a more up-to-date assessment (recently bought)?

Bearing in mind it is for my one and only - so, well you know what happens if I get it wrong!;)

Thanks again

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Wow, I jinxed myself by posting earlier that I was happy with my 27" iMac.
I was, until the incident that happened around 5pm tonight.

Normally I don't re-post, but this is safety issue so spreading the word I believe is "ok".
Here is new thread I made in the iMac forum here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10027683#post10027683

Here is content of that thread:
My 2 month old 27" iMac fell over due to my 4 year old son and 8 year old daughter ruckus next to it on the MacBook laptop.

My issue is the 27" screen glass cover appears NOT to be tempered glass, it broke in huge/sharp shards that could really-really injure someone.

Everyone using iMacs with young kis like me please take notice what happened and take your own actions to ensure no repeat, hopefully this will help someone else avoid really serious cuts/etc.

Tempered glass shatters into small pieces that don't pierce the skin, that is why the auto industry uses them, the household glass industry also uses them if the glass window/pane is below a certain height for safety.
Luckily in our household no one got serious injury, just me (dad) got a small glass sliver picking the iMac up and cleaning.
I'll have to contact Apple directly on this to see how they will handle.
I take responsibility for my kids actions, I wonder Apples response to:
-not using tempered glass

YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3pbn11gUBc

Pictures:
(all clickable)
IMG_5624.jpg
IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG

peakchua

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2010
Hoping that this whole post was a joke...

Grammar, correct spelling and punctuation are your friend, if you want to be taken seriously, at all... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

... -_- ARE YOU MY ENGLISH TEACHER NOW? seriously, @razeus seriously dude, you sounded like you hated macs

AScottMcCauley

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Love my i7

I've only got 1tb hard drive in it and only 4gb RAM (for now) and it runs CS4 and lightroom 2 smoothly enough.
I ran all sorts of color testing on it and there is no yellowing issue with mine.
So I'd say go for it! :apple:

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Hoping that this whole post was a joke...

Grammar, correct spelling and punctuation are your friend, if you want to be taken seriously, at all... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:/ Grammar, correct spelling and punctuation are your friends*. if you want to be taken seriously, at all.

A little ironic, your criticizing someone else but you are not much better. Be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.