Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
As a DMC-L1 fan I wonder when will a real replacement for this camera be available, if ever.

The L10 does not count. The E3 is awesome, but certainly not retro inspired.

Here are the 4 things that need to be in an REAL L1 replacement/upgrade:

1) Aperture ring on lenses (Yes this depends on the lens too, but what good is a lens with aperture if the camera does not care?)

2) Shutter speed dial on top.

3) Bounce flash built-in. Fantastic feature, if you've ever used it.

4) "Ugly looking." :) [rangefinder style]

Here are things that should be upgraded: (Some are obvious)

1) New sensor borrowed from E3 or L10 [or GH1]. 10MP is fine, 12 is overkill. [ok, 12 is ok]

2) All the minor spec upgrades from the L10 [and others].

3) In-Body OIS (or IS in olympus terms), so lenses other than the 3 Leica lenses with OIS can also have IS for hand-held shooting.

4) Articulating LCD.

I sometimes think of upgrading to something newer, but then I remember the features I mentioned that make this such a unique camera and realize there is nothing out there like it. (Except an M8, but then there's the $5K thing.)

I really hope Panasonic takes a risk again on a retro styled camera!

What do you think?

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I am with your train of thought, I love my L1. Unfortunately I suspect it is not more than wishful thinking on our part.

For one, Panasonic did not do well financially on either the L1 or the L10 as it was over-priced compared to its competitors and not marketed very well, sort of a 'niche camera' in a market flooded with cheaper bodies with more and better technical specifications. I recognize with you that the L1 is in a class of its own in the dslr world, but the average consumer did not recognize this and they didn't make any money on it.

Second, Panasonic recently announced their participation in a new, micro- four thirds standard camera, the G1. This seems to be a much more appealing product to the mass market, and if this 'mini' dslr does well I strongly doubt the continued support of Panasonic in the standard 4/3 system mount.

Third, they never even bothered to make body only available for either current dslr offering, leaving us stuck with the choice of spending a lot of cash for a lens we already bought with the first kit and trying to sell it at a loss, or simply upgrading to an Olympus 4/3 body.

Fourth, they never even bothered to make the coveted PanaLeica lenses very readily available, and have not produced enough to cover demand.

It's a shame I can't be more optimistic, but this two separate 4/3 platforms concept when the first has already been a flop marketwise, only trying to be realistic. My L1 is built like a tank, and although not marketed as such I have found it to be indestructable in harsh conditions and virtually splashproof as well... besides making wonderful pictures with the Leica 14-50/2.8 or any Olympus 4/3 lens.

On the bright side, Olypmus has announced a new mid tier dslr body between the E-520 and the E-3 which may fit the bill for my needs, waterproof, with a new 12mp sensor sporting higher dynamic range and less noise at high ISO... so all hope is not lost! i will certainly miss the advantages of the shutter speed dial and aperture ring of the L1 as well as the sheer convenience of taking pictures without menu diving to change the frequently adjusted settings... but such is life.:rolleyes:

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I am with your train of thought, I love my L1. Unfortunately I suspect it is not more than wishful thinking on our part.

For one, Panasonic did not do well financially on either the L1 or the L10 as it was over-priced compared to its competitors and not marketed very well, sort of a 'niche camera' in a market flooded with cheaper bodies with more and better technical specifications. I recognize with you that the L1 is in a class of its own in the dslr world, but the average consumer did not recognize this and they didn't make any money on it.

Second, Panasonic recently announced their participation in a new, micro- four thirds standard camera, the G1. This seems to be a much more appealing product to the mass market, and if this 'mini' dslr does well I strongly doubt the continued support of Panasonic in the standard 4/3 system mount.

Third, they never even bothered to make body only available for either current dslr offering, leaving us stuck with the choice of spending a lot of cash for a lens we already bought with the first kit and trying to sell it at a loss, or simply upgrading to an Olympus 4/3 body.

Fourth, they never even bothered to make the coveted PanaLeica lenses very readily available, and have not produced enough to cover demand.

It's a shame I can't be more optimistic, but this two separate 4/3 platforms concept when the first has already been a flop marketwise, only trying to be realistic. My L1 is built like a tank, and although not marketed as such I have found it to be indestructable in harsh conditions and virtually splashproof as well... besides making wonderful pictures with the Leica 14-50/2.8 or any Olympus 4/3 lens.

On the bright side, Olypmus has announced a new mid tier dslr body between the E-520 and the E-3 which may fit the bill for my needs, waterproof, with a new 12mp sensor sporting higher dynamic range and less noise at high ISO... so all hope is not lost! i will certainly miss the advantages of the shutter speed dial and aperture ring of the L1 as well as the sheer convenience of taking pictures without menu diving to change the frequently adjusted settings... but such is life.:rolleyes:

I understand what you mean, and agree with you to a great degree. (Sadly)

But there is a part of me that hopes Panasonic can realize gap there is in the market and fill it!
The choices for the type of camera we are talking about are A) The L1 B) The M8.
The L1 is a great camera, but now dated and as you pointed out not mainstream or available as a body only. The M8 is fabulous, but not many people have $5k for a body and another $5K for 2 lenses.
This means there is a valid market gap for a nice retro styled body that can compete in the current market if properly marketed.

But alas, you probably have a point about the G1. This will likely be Pany's baby for a while.

Oh, well. I'll keep hoping. Now on to the Olympus website for info on this new body...

MichaelLogan

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I doubt there will be a successor to the L1. I own the Leica-branded version (Digilux 3) and love it. I've managed to track down the 25mm prime lens and the 14-150 superzoom, so I've got the full kit. I would be surprised if any additional lenses with aperture rings are released.

My only gripe with the camera body is the viewfinder. I'm considering having a Katz Eye split-prism finder fitted, to make manual focus easier.

I'm hoping that the small Olympus micro 4/3 mock-up that was shown at Photokina plays nicely with old OM-series lenses. I have several excellent OM lenses, and they're just the right size for that little body. That's assuming, of course, that an eye-level electronic viewfinder is available for the Oly body--I hate holding cameras at arm's length to use the LCD as a finder.

Oh-and yes, the bounce flash is brilliant. I don't know why all built-in flash units don't work that way!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
It's not you, it's me...

Digging up an old thread...

Well, I tried and hoped for an L1 replacement, but alas, that never happened and probably won't. I was hoping to see some new 4/3 body from Panasonic, but it looks unlikely with the m4/3 thing taking center stage. The GF1 should be coming soon, making things even more m4/3 focused.

Having said that, I've been doing more photography lately and booked some weddings, so I decided to get something just a tad more robust, an E3. I will keep one of my L1 bodies as my backup and "more compact" camera, but it won't be my main camera. Very sad indeed. Hitting the buy button took me 3 days. It was like a bad breakup. I really love my L1's. Oh well.

Anybody want a used L1 body? ;)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Anybody want a used L1 body? ;)

Ha ha I sold my L1 and bought an E-3 too. I love it, but regret selling the L1 body. At least I sold it to a friend... who barely uses it. I will probably be able to buy it back from him one day. But the E-3 definitely outperforms it in every category, very happy to have upgraded. :D

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
2 More days until the panasonic announcement:D

I am also waiting for the new m4/3 panasonic camera. Looks like only 2 more sleeps until the announcement.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I am also waiting for the new m4/3 panasonic camera. Looks like only 2 more sleeps until the announcement.

Im excited about the m4/3 GF1, but I hope Pany does not forget the standard 4/3 format.
With the sensor that they used in the GH1, they could developed a really awesome DSLR. If they surprise with a new DSLR that has that "retro fee", the E1 may not last me long. (I still have not received it)
It would also be great to see some new Leica 4/3 lenses! Maybe a pancake, or a 40-50mm portrait (80-100mm equivalent)

In any case, it's good to see that 4/3 is making an impact in photography.
(For a while there I felt like back in 1988 when I was the only kid with a Sega Master Sytem and everybody else had an NES!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.